vinegrower vs winegrower

shivam

spanish
When speaking about the world of wine I heard the word vine growing which means "viticultura" in Spanish. But when referring to the person who works the land why not vinegrower instead of winegrower.
Anybody helps?

Thanks in advance

• Masood

British English
    When speaking about the world of wine I heard the word vine growing which means "viticultura" in Spanish. But when referring to the person who works the land why not vinegrower instead of winegrower.
    Anybody helps?

Thanks in advance
    Hmm, where did you hear this?...On the grapevine? :rolleyes:
    De acuerdo con la respuesta dada por Chez.

shivam

spanish
    In Spanish "viticultura" means "cultivo de la vid" and not "cultivo del vino" and the person who works the land is a "viticultor" a person who grows the vines not the wines and I though it could be translated the same way into English.
    Of course, it is not the same "vinicultor" the person in charge of making the wine.
    Do you understand what I mean?

Vinegrower: viticultor?
    Winegrower: vinicultor?

Chez

English English
    Yes, I understand what you mean, shivam, but it's not that clear-cut in English.

I've never personally heard the term 'wine grower'. It sounds odd because you don't 'grow' wine - you grow the grapes for making wine. But also, 'vine grower' is not completely clear because that just means someone who grows vines (grapes), which could be for eating or for wine.

In the formal context of growing vines to make wine, we use the word 'viticulture' for the growing process, and 'viticulturist' for the person who does the growing.

These work fine if your audience is familiar with viticulture. A general audience might not all be familiar with the terms, which is when, I suppose, the wine grower/vine grower question arises. I guess you could use either if the meaning is clear in the context (which I imagine it would be).

Hope that doesn't complicate things more.

shivam

spanish
    Thank you so much for you answer.
    In Spanish is so clear that I though I would be the same in English

< Previous | Next >