vinificazione in rosso

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by anglomania1, Jan 19, 2010.

1. anglomania1

anglomania1 Senior Member

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Hello there,
    yes, it's wine again!!

I often come across the term "vinificazione in rosso (bianco/rosato)" but I don't know if we have a translation in English.

The sentence is "Il vino a IGT, viene prodotto con la consueta tecnica della vinificazione “in rosato” delle uve rosse di Sangiovese e Ciliegiolo. "

It means (from wiki) "La vinificazione in rosso o vinificazione con macerazione è caratterizzata dal contatto tra vinacce e mosto in fermentazione. "

I've seen "vinification in red/white/rosé" in a dictionary, but it doesn't convince me and I've never found this phrase on google - which makes me suspicious!

I tried changing the wiki page into English but it doesn't have the term.
    I thought of "red/white/rosé winemaking", but it's too vague, don't you think?
    What I want to say is that the wine is made in the usual way you make red wine (with maceration with contact with the skins).
    Or if it is white wine, there is no contact with skins and rosé has partial contact. (Maybe I should just say it like this!!)

I think I've found the answer so I'll put it here to help others with the same query (and if anyone has any comments...).

I found:
    Red vinification
    White vinification
    Rosé vinification

I think you could also use vinification of red wines etc, though it's a little different.

Thanks anyway,
    Anglo

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017
  2. serenatanapulitana New Member

italy
    italian
    ho trovato un bel sito, delle cantine tasca di almerita, prova a cercare là la traduz, ci sono le schede tecniche dei vini...

3. anglomania1

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Hello, thanks for the advice, though I'm always a bit wary of getting terms from a site that's been translated (probably by someone like me!!!!!).
    It's seems ok, but I've only had a quick look.
    I was put off by a mistake I found - it talks of the "wineries history", when it should be the "winery's history".

It was worth a try, and thanks again for your help,
    Anglo

4. duma Senior Member

UK, English
    Hello - I recommend you take a look at www.watson.it which I find a very helpful resource for Italian/English wine vocabulary. It has a few different suggestions for "vinificazione in rosso/bianco".

5. WordsWordWords

WordsWordWords Senior Member

Piemonte, Italy
    Am English
    Hi Duma,

More than two and a half years later I am stumbling on to your post and the site you indicated is like a goldmine for me on my present project -- it looks like it will be extremely useful!!!!

Thanks!

6. tsoapm

tsoapm Senior Member

Emilia–Romagna, Italy
    English (England)
    Damn. I wish someone had taken the time to discuss them; now the site has a security issue. Gah.

7. anglomania1

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Hi there,
    yes, I bookmarked the page and then suddenly I couldn't get in again for the security issue. Then I tried googling it anew and now I can get in like before - don't know why!!
    Try here
    Let's see if it works!
    Anglo

8. tsoapm

tsoapm Senior Member

Emilia–Romagna, Italy
    English (England)
    Thank you! I see registration is required.

9. anglomania1

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Yes, but it's free!! Well worth it!! ;)

10. WordsWordWords

WordsWordWords Senior Member

Piemonte, Italy
    Am English
    Hmmmm. Shouldn't be a problem. I had it bookmarked too and now have re-registered with their renewed site. Worth taking a look at this:

Newsletter 01/2016

Sad, but explains it all, including how to re-subscribe....

11. anglomania1

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Yes, I knew he had died - very sad.
    But I had already registered with the new site a year ago. This security issue has only been in the last couple of months. Very strange.

12. johngiovanni

johngiovanni Senior Member

Going back to the original post, I would have instinctively used the preposition "for" - "vinification for red / white / rosato (or rosé or whatever, depending on particular country of origin).
    After that, "vinification of...", in context, would seem OK.
    Least "natural" to me seem "Red/ white/ rosato (or whatever) vinification", though they would still be understood in context.
    "Red wine vinification", etc. seem to me more natural than "Red vinification", etc.
    Edit: It is the preposition "in" which I would not expect to find in the English translation, unless "in rosato" was kept in inverted commas or put in italics.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  13. anglomania1

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Yes, I agree JG!:)
    The problem is that we don't often have many terms in English compared to Old World wine-producing countries that have been doing it for centuries.
    Basically all it means is that the skin contact during fermentation is different - lots of skin contact to make a red wine, none to make a white and partial for a rosé.
    I still need to look at some English-speaking websites to find out what they say, but maybe they just don't say it!!
    Here the don't mention it in their winemaking guide!
    This doesn't mention anything specific either!
    Maybe we just say "red wine vinification", though I'm not so convinced we used the word "vinification" much. Or possibly just "red winemaking".
    Any ideas?:)
    Anglo

14. Benzene

Benzene Senior Member

GENOA (ITALY)
    Italian, Italy
    Hello anglo!

I found:

1. vinificazione in bianco = fermentation off skins
    2. vinificazione in rosso = fermentation on skins
    Source: IATE [Inter-Active Terminology for Europe]

IATE is an authoritative and trusted source, at least for me.

Bye,

Benzene

15. anglomania1

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Hi Benzene:)
    Yes, I've seen that too, and I think it could be the best option as it explains what exactly happens!
    I've also seen "off-the-skins fermentation"
    Anglo

16. johngiovanni

johngiovanni Senior Member

Ciao, Benzene. With respect to IATE, the "off skins" / "on skins" seems at best an oversimplification, and in any case would not apply to "in rosato".
    The translations which include the colours and the word "vinification" or "winemaking" are in themselves rather broad and actually refer to the colours.

17. anglomania1

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    That is very true for rosé, which I suppose would be "partial skin contact"
    Anyway, I thought I'd have a look at Jancis - she should be able to help!!
    She uses "skin-fermented wines" here and this is interesting too - I need to dig the book out!
    I know that's not a good translation for "vinificazione in rosso" but it could be a starting point.:)