virtuosic dedication: does it make sense?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ard.houtstaak, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ard.houtstaak Member

French
    Hi All,

Who can tell me if 'virtuosic dedication' makes sense?

Thank you,
    Ar.d.

2. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Hi,

No, as much as I hate to say it, this pair of words doesn't make any sense to me :( What's the context, though? What do you want to say?

Do you mean 'a great dedication', one that is required in some jobs? For instance:

It takes a great dedication to be a good teacher.

3. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    I think it would make sense, if you were describing a particularly brilliant dedication speech and focusing on the virtuosic rhetoric of the orator giving that speech.

You need to provide some sort of context. There's nothing keeping those two words apart, but it's impossible to know whether they go together well without knowing what they're supposed to mean and how they're going to be used.

4. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    lucas-sp is talking about a speech that "dedicates" something, which could be performed with virtuosic skill.
    dreamlike is talking about the personal quality of dedication—a concentrated attitude and hard work, we might say—which is harder to connect with "virtuosic".
    I guess we could say it takes dedication to achieve virtuosic skill (practice, practice, practice!), but I can't get the two words into the same phrase.

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Please tell us the full sentence and where you read it (with a link if possible).

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Questions like this require a sentence and context -- or we don't answer them. Please wait for this information now.