visions in pewter

< Previous | Next >

Erika28

france, french
bonjour à tous,

je sollicite votre aide pour comprendre la phrase suivante:
"they were visions un pewter",
le "they" faisant référence à des demoiselles d'honneur (c'est une future mariée qui fait ce commentaire).

est-ce qu'il faut comprendre au sens propre "des images/ figurines d'étain"
ou plutôt au figuré quelque chose comme des "gravures de mode"?

merci de votre aide, je suis perdue!

• Alipeeps

UK
    UK - English
    Est-ce tu peut donner plus de contexte... peut-être le phrase entier? Ca à l'air d'être quelque chose littéraire et c'est un peu difficile de savoir comment le mieux traduire sans voir le phrase entier....

Erika28

france, french
    Ok, en voilà un peu plus sur ces demoiselles d'honneur:
    "they were visions in pewter. Their custom-made dresses were stunning and more like couture, red-carpet fare than bridesmaid gowns".

we then understand that their outfit is really nice but I still don't get the link with "pewter"...
    :-(

Alipeeps

UK
    UK - English
    My best guess then would be that their dresses were pewter-coloured. If, for example, a woman is wearing a lacey dress, one can say she is "a vision in lace" or likewise if she is wearing red, "a vision in red". From the context, pewter can only refer to the colour of the custom-made dresses they were wearing.

"To be a vision..." in this context has the meaning of looking incredible, extremely good, almost unbelievably so, as if they had come from a vision or dream and were not real... I'm not sure if there is a comparable idiom in French?

djara

Tunisia Arabic
    Je note ce sens de "pewter" dans l'OED:
    d. colloq. A pewter mug. Formerly also:
    atankard or cup given as a prize (obs.). Now rare.
    Je pense à "bijoux"

Erika28

france, french
    Wow! Thanks a lot Alipeeps and djara. Your explanations help a lot!

I don't know why but I had thought of the word "bijoux" as well.

I have to figure out a phrase that would convey the ideas of looking really good like a dreamlike vision, and keeping the color of pewter (won't be easy :- ))

what about:
    "Dans leurs robes anthracites, elles étaient l'image de la beauté "?

Alipeeps

UK
    UK - English
    Je note ce sens de "pewter" dans l'OED:
    d. colloq. A pewter mug. Formerly also:
    atankard or cup given as a prize (obs.). Now rare.
    Je pense à "bijoux"
    I think that's too literal. The sense of the phrase is not saying that they look like prizes or statues... this meaning would only make sense if the context was talking about something literally made from pewter (e.g. you could possibly describe a very beautiful pewter statue or piece of jewellery etc as "a vision in pewter")

Wow! Thanks a lot Alipeeps and djara. Your explanations help a lot!

I don't know why but I had thought of the word "bijoux" as well.

I have to figure out a phrase that would convey the ideas of looking really good like a dreamlike vision, and keeping the color of pewter (won't be easy :- ))

what about:
    "Dans leurs robes anthracites, elles étaient l'image de la beauté "? :tick:
    That's pretty good - I think that conveys very well the same sort of idea of the original. :)

< Previous | Next >