Annelita

Norwegian
Hi!
I just can't decide which of the following is the most correct:

Visitor address
Visitor's address
Visitors' address
Visiting address

I got the most hits on Google with visiting, but it seemed to be from a lot of non-English sites, so I'm not quite convinced.

I'm leaning towards visitors', but I would like to hear some natives' opinions.

Is there an AE/BE distinction?

Ann Elin:)

• envie de voyager

english-canadian
    Each one of your options could be used in a sentence. Without any context at all, it is impossible to tell you which option to use. Show us the sentence you are writing, and then we can tell you which one is correct.

Annelita

Norwegian
    Sorry, I forgot to write the context. It's just in the context of contact details of a company. They have a postal address and a visitors' address.
    Is there any difference between them, or is it just down to preference?

Ann Elin

envie de voyager

english-canadian
    There is a big difference between all of them.

Visitor's address: this refers to the address where a single visitor is staying.

Visitors' address: this refers to the address where more than one visitor is staying.

Visitor address: if you are going to be using this as a label for a box on a standard form, I would just use this one.

kiwichiq

NZ, English
    I'd like to revive this topic - I've been asked by a non-English speaker to add the words visiting address to a business card where there's the physical office address and the postal address. As a native English speaker I find this odd, or even dated, and would like other opinions.

My suggestions are either:
    to not specify anything
    to put postal address or mail address before the Box number address
    or go with the original suggestion, visiting address or visitor address.

(Besides all that, with both addresses on it and all the phone numbers etc. I'm running out of room for more words/lines)

e2efour

UK English
    I'd like to revive this topic - I've been asked by a non-English speaker to add the words visiting address to a business card where there's the physical office address and the postal address. As a native English speaker I find this odd, or even dated, and would like other opinions.

My suggestions are either:
    to not specify anything
    to put postal address or mail address before the Box number address
    or go with the original suggestion, visiting address or visitor address.

(Besides all that, with both addresses on it and all the phone numbers etc. I'm running out of room for more words/lines)
    I agree that it is unusual (at least in the UK) to put the street address on a business card or contact details for a company.
    However, in translated annual reports (e.g. in Scandinavia) you will often find something like "Address for visitors" or a variant for this. Even "Visitors" is possible by itself. Whether it is necessary to give the street address if a box number is given is a matter of opinion, although it is certainly of help to visitors!

kiwichiq

NZ, English
    I don't find it unusual to have the physical address written on the card, just unusual to have the words visiting address. Address for visitors or Visitors do sound more natural though.

< Previous | Next >