Viva España

ramosmarioo23

Español - España
Hello guys, I would like to know how native speakers say "Viva" as we may say "Viva España". I have heard the usually say "long live" but I'm not very sure about it.
Thanks in advance!

Moderator edit: thread title must contain the phrase being translated, not your translation attempt. -fenixpollo

Last edited by a moderator:
  • JoseVerde

English - USA
    Hello guys, I would like to know how native speakers say "Viva" as we may say "Viva España". I have heard the usually say "long live" but I'm not very sure about it.
    Thanks in advance!
    Those in the Commonwealth countries will certainly say "Long live the [Monarch]" but interestingly enough in the US we're more reluctant to use the phrase (e.g. Long live America or Long Live California is pretty uncommon). So, what do we use? Oftentimes the Spanish construction "Viva + object" made ever so famous by Elvis and "Viva Las Vegas"

Ferrol

Spanish.España
    En sentido similar se usa "up with"
    Según Webster Dictionnary
    1. up with ⇒ (functioning as imperative) wanting the beginning or continuation of: up with the monarchy!

Fmorondo

Español-España
    En sentido similar se usa "up with"
    Según Webster Dictionnary
    1. up with ⇒ (functioning as imperative) wanting the beginning or continuation of: up with the monarchy!
    De hecho, el grupo 'Up with People' se presentaba en España en los años 70 como 'Viva la gente'. ¡Qué tiempos!

ramosmarioo23

Español - España
    Thank you guys. Does anyone know what the soldiers yell to say it in parades and similar? Is it maybe: up with USA! or sth like that?

Ty

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    Hurray for se puede utilizar con muchas cosas.
    Estoy de acuerdo.
    Sinceramente 'Up with xxxxx' suena fatal. Sí me acuerdo que hace años en Inglaterra en un campo de fútbol se oía 'Up the Blues/Reds/Spurs' etc. pero nunca 'up with'.

< Previous | Next >