vive en pobreza a causa del desempleo (article)

< Previous | Next >

NicBee

English - Ireland
Hola a todos,

I have been asked by a friend to check an essay she has written and I have become bogged down with the correct use/elimination of the definite article in Spanish...

Does this sound correct "Quiero examinar los beneficios de la inmigración, los problemas de la inmigración etc"?

And "Mucha gente vive en pobreza a causa del desempleo, de la guerra, de la violencia etc." or should this read "Mucha gente vive en pobreza a causa de desempleo, de guerra, de violencia etc"

I am finding it hard to locate a good rule guide for the use of articles anywhere so any help would be much appreciated.

Muchas gracias.

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    Welcome to the Forum, NicBee!
    I often take questions like this to the Google Books Ngram Viewer, to see what usage appears in the millions of books that have been digitized for that project.
    This graph, for example, shows that "vive en la pobreza" is more frequent than "vive en pobreza".
    And graphs such as this one will show that the article should appear also in your other phrases.
    This link should take you to the Butt & Benjamin grammar; see page 29*, Sec. 3.2.6.a, "Abstract nouns referring to a concept in general".
    I hope this helps.
    P.S.: Click on "Page 27", then scroll to 29.

Last edited:

Rubns

Español - Spanish (Spain)
    I would use the article here. "Vivir en pobreza" leads one to think that the person is doing it voluntarily, for example, the Catholic vow of poverty. Of course, here the context would clear things up, but it doesn't sound well.

Saludos.

NicBee

English - Ireland
    Many thanks for your help, your information has definitely clarified my doubts with regards to the correct use of the article! :)

< Previous | Next >