Vivent / Vive les vacances !

mementox

french
Hi everybody,

how would you translate this kind of sentence : "vive les vacances" or "vive" whatever you want ... ?

Thank you for your help !
Mementox

• sophievm

France - français
    In fact, to be perfectly correct it should be "vivent les vacances" and it's short for "que vivent les vacances". Originally this phrase was only used for persons (of course, because it should be something living) and it has be extended to everything. For the translation, I don't know, maybe "long live the holidays" ?

beri

France
    sophievm said:
    In fact, to be perfectly correct it should be "vivent les vacances" and it's short for "que vivent les vacances". Originally this phrase was only used for persons (of course, because it should be something living) and it has be extended to everything. For the translation, I don't know, maybe "long live the holidays" ?
    I thought the same until 2 years ago, but I learnt that "vive les vacances" is perfectly correct! don't ask me why, but that's the way it is.

besides, I'd suggest "hurrah for the holidays!"

RobInAustin

US English, French
    unless you are in the US. We say "vacation" instead of "holiday" (the UK usage).
    So, Hurray for Vacations! Although, "vive le x" is becoming common in the US, especially more so now with Lance Armstrong's record. ("Vive le Lance") was everywhere here. You could actually say "vive le vacation!" in the US, and it would be understood what you meant.
    cheers,
    rob

Didier_S

France - French
    It is tolerated to write "vive les...", even if "vivent les..." is more logical. I have seen "vive le" in English. There is "God bless...", like in "God bless America", isn't there ? But I don't think "God bless the vacations" is possible.

Becky85

England, English
    I think 'long live the holidays' is fine.

'Hurrah the holidays', in England, sounds a bit Enid Blyton, Mallory Towers-ish! A bit la-di-dah! Hope that doesn't offend anyone who does use it! No offence meant! :rolleyes:

Becky85

England, English
    By the way, before anyone asks!

Enid Blyton was a famous British children's author who wrote stories like the Mallory Towers series, about girls at a boarding school. They always had 'midnight feasts' and ate 'tinned peaches' and it was very very English!

La-di-dah is a word similar to 'uppity' - a bit stereotypical stiff upper lip English! Certainly not in a bad way, it's just sometimes seen as being old fashioned and 'proper'! :)

Jabote

French from France
    Becky85 said:
    By the way, before anyone asks!

Enid Blyton was a famous British children's author who wrote stories like the Mallory Towers series, about girls at a boarding school. They always had 'midnight feasts' and ate 'tinned peaches' and it was very very English!

La-di-dah is a word similar to 'uppity' - a bit stereotypical stiff upper lip English! Certainly not in a bad way, it's just sometimes seen as being old fashioned and 'proper'! :)
    Also wrote the English version of the famous "Club des Cinq" read by all French children (well.... my generation at any rate !). Now I have no clue as to what the original title was in English...

It is tolerated to write "vive les...", even if "vivent les..." is more logical. I have seen "vive le" in English. There is "God bless...", like in "God bless America", isn't there ? But I don't think "God bless the vacations" is possible.
    I'm french, and i think it's "vive les vacances" and not "vivent les vacances"
    In this case, VIVE, is the adverb's diminutive of "vivement". It's quick soon sense. In fact, this sentence means : Vivement les vacances.
    In brief, you're not on holidays and you're dying to be on holidays.

"Vivent les vacances" would mean that the person is already in holidays and want they'll continue. In this case, VIVENT is the plurial of the present of the verb "Vivre". In fact, this sentence mean : "Que vivent les vacances" in during sense.

NeigeBlanche

So, I hope to answer at your questions. So I'm sorry to my english's mistakes, because, I've only some notions of english. But French's grammar is so difficult and it must be explained. If not, we can't progress even for a french.

Zahikiel

Français
    It's "Vive les vacances" and I don't think it's the adverb's diminutive of "vivement". It's not the same sens !

Salvatos

French - Québec
    Sorry NeigeBlanche, but I think that's completely off. "Vivement les vacances" does mean "I can't wait until the holidays", but "vive(nt) les vacances (or anything else)" means, roughly, "holidays are great" - "vive" is not short for "vivement". And as has been pointed out earlier, it's a short form for the subjunctive "Que vivent les vacances" - in other words, may holidays continue to exist.

Patatos

Français
    Sorry NeigeBlanche, but I think that's completely off. "Vivement les vacances" does mean "I can't wait until the holidays", but "vive(nt) les vacances (or anything else)" means, roughly, "holidays are great" - "vive" is not short for "vivement". And as has been pointed out earlier, it's a short form for the subjunctive "Que vivent les vacances" - in other words, may holidays continue to exist.
    You are right, it is not a diminutive of "vivement" but you can't conjugue "vive" in "vive les vacances", because "vive" is invariable. You write "vive le sport", "vive les filles"... because here "vive" qualify something and is not used as a verb. It is the same as "Hola pour les vacances". It doesn't mean "Long live the vacations/the holidays". The correct translation would be "hurrah for the holidays!".

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Patatos, you can't say "vivent" is not correct. In short, both form are correct but "vive" is more common.
    See here (and incidentally, both forms are given here)
    (& I also agree that "vive les vacances" and "vivement les vacances" are completely different)

Patatos

Français
    Patatos, you can't say "vivent" is not correct. In short, both form are correct but "vive" is more common.
    See here (and incidentally, both forms are given here)
    (& I also agree that "vive les vacances" and "vivement les vacances" are completely different)
    You can only say "vivent les vacances" if you mean "Long live vacations", meaning you want them to last forever.
    But if you want to say something such as "hurrah for vacation" you can only say "Vive les vacances" because here "vive" is not a verb.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Would "vacations rule" not sound better?.
    Vacation rules! talks about one specific vacation period--Summer 2012, for a student, for example. To rule used in this way is an expression pretty much limited to teenagers and young adults, so it may be talking about the summer vacation period and not just a specific trip away from home.

Vacations rule! is a general statement about any time one takes a vacation.

< Previous | Next >