vivre / être dans le trou du cul du monde

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
Hi,

I've not used the expression as the title, because I think that colloquial forms are not well regarded there... ;)

I'd like to know the english equivalent for "vivre / être dans le trou du cul du monde", which means you are in a small remote place (village, isolated house...)

Bonjour, je suppose qu'un Français capable de me donner la réponse peut aussi bien lire ce qui est ci-dessus :).

• watergirl

English, U.S.A.
    "Shit hole" to me implies the quality (execrable...) of the place more than its isolation. (In other words, you could be living in a shithole in a big city as well as in the country.)
    :warn:A rather offensive expression closer to your phrase would be "bum fuck" (used at least here in the US) and you'd say something like
    "I was living in this bum fuck town...." I've never written it out before so it looks weird but I'm pretty sure that's what you're after.

Franglais1969

English English, français rouillé
    I must admit, I have never encountered that quaint americanism, water. LOL

I suppose a more polite translation could be "God-forsaken place"

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    Thank you both. Watergirl is probably closer to what I'm seeking, but I'm worried if that's so colloquial that it's weird to read it.

I've got "the dead-end of the world" popping up in my mind, but I don't know where I could have found this in the first place. I'm not sure that the meaning is remotely like what I'm looking for.

watergirl

English, U.S.A.
    Yes, I can't say I've ever used (or would acutally advocate using!) my suggestion - it just seemed to match your phrase pretty well. (And it is said a fair amount in this part of the world.) :)

Le Bélier

USA
    English/USA
    Je suis entièrement d'accord avec watergirl. Parfois, on fait référence à BFA (l'acronyme pour éviter la grossièreté du mot fuck) qui signifie bum fuck anywhere. Employé pour décrire n'importe quel trou sans nommer l'endroit. Je pense que parfois en plus, on dit BFN ou bum fuck nowhere (nulle parte).

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    Bum fuck nowhere? Damn, I like this one! Would have used it if your comments had not make me feel like that would not be a good idea in a novel (well, a short story, actually) posted on a public forum. :D

tregenza

UK
    English
    Hi,

I've not used the expression as the title, because I think that colloquial forms are not well regarded there... ;)

I'd like to know the english equivalent for "vivre / être dans le trou du cul du monde", which means you are in a small remote place (village, isolated house...)

Bonjour, je suppose qu'un Français capable de me donner la réponse peut aussi bien lire ce qui est ci-dessus :).

This is not really very nice but "to live in the arsehole" of Such and Such a country

Kelly B

USA English
    I feel so naive. I've always heard watergirl's expression as "I live in East Bum," and didn't know that F*** was supposed to be tacked onto the end. In retrospect, it makes more sense that way, I suppose.

Anyway, this version leaves the vulgar bit unsaid, but understood (by just about everybody else...).
    Sinon, sneaky13's "(out in the) middle of nowhere" is the one I hear most often.

Aupick

UK, English
    I've picked up "in the boonies" from Americans I know. I'm not sure how widespread it is, but I'm sure it's rather too harmless for your needs. I presume it's short for "in the boondocks".

Kelly B

USA English
    Funny you should mention that one, Venusia, it came to my mind, too. I'm afraid, though, that it might be more appropriate to les banlieues parisiennes than to la compagne. (I hope I haven't offended anyone....)

JamesM

Here are a few more offerings on the mild side:

Hick town
    Hole-in-the-wall
    backwater
    end-of-the-world
    little nothing of a town

A friend of mine who lives in a tiny town in Idaho says, "I don't live at the end of the world, but you can see it from here." :)

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    Thank you all. I'll have to choose the more appropriate now. Must be colloquial because used by an angry strong tempered character, but not too much because I don't want to bother my american readers... Might stick to godforsaken.

I'll try to remember the others though, just in case :)

Kelly B

USA English
    I came upon this thread again by chance, and had another thought: the armpit of the universe (of the world, of the Midwest, of Europe... take your pick.)

Harry Batt

USA English
    First, for Tregenza. On I 35 there is actually a town named Boondocks in the state of Iowa. If you want to take the time to search. It is near Mason City.

Second, In a French film I once heard an actor say to another, "Toulon? That is the cesspool of France." We couldn't be talking about Toulon, could we?

Third, If we set aside our méchante penses au liieu de cet question, there is the "tank town," simply "the sticks."

JeanDeSponde

France, Français
    The one I'm using I picked in a US movie: You must live in Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas.
    I didn't check, but it might exist.
    I hope Arkansians and Toulonnais will not start laying bombs in the WRF...

Harry Batt

USA English
    je viens de souvenir le titre de ce film. L'argent de la Pouche. Vraiment les acteurs etaient enfants de l'école. Bien sûr il profitera être demeuré dans Toulon au lieu de cet frigo ou j'habite avec le froideur et la neige.

Vanouchka

French
    To describe where I am living in France (dans le trou du cul du monde) I use in the middle of nowhere when i want to remain polite (ie parents in law) or 'the dead-end of the world' as well, more colloquial would be i believe the 'boondocks" as tregenza has suggested

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    I thank you all for your interest and love that kind of thread necromancy. :p But since my text has been released to my readership a long time ago, your suggestions will have to wait another possible occurence -or other forum members in need of them.