Vocabulary:How announcer in the supermarkets called?

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
For example
someone announce new sells or something like that ?????

I think I have heard a specific word to say that ????

Thanks.

• aditii

India, hindi, english
    roniy said:
    For example
    someone who announces new sells sales or something like that ?????

Thanks.
    I did some editing but give some more context.....

roniy said:
    For example
    someone announce new sells or something like that ?????

Thanks.

Hi Roniy,

Do you mean when an announcement is made over the supermarket Tannoy system saying something like, "Be sure to visit our delicatessen counter today to sample our new range of speciality cheeses."?

This is known as "promotion".

LRV

french4beth

US-English
    If it's at a trade show, perhaps "demonstrator" (see more info here: http://www.calmis.cahwnet.gov/file/occguide/DEMONSTR.HTM).

DEMONSTRATORS show new products to the public... set up or check the product display and demonstration area to make sure that the product is attractively presented... keep the area neat while working and put things away at the end of the demonstration... explain the product to customers and answer questions.

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
    la reine victoria said:
    Hi Roniy,

Do you mean when an announcement is made over the supermarket Tannoy system saying something like, "Be sure to visit our delicatessen counter today to sample our new range of speciality cheeses."?

This is known as "promotion".

LRV
    Yeah that is what I meant, probably this is the word.

THank you.

GenJen54

USA - English
    In the age of automation, I've noticed that many of these "promotions" are pre-recorded.

Either a manager will record them "locally" (rarely are these announcements made "live"), or they are part of a "canned" campaign sent to the store by their national headquarters.

The type of announcement is a "promotion."
    The announcement is being given over a PA (public address) system.

La Reine Victoria said:
    The person making these announcements is called "an in-store promoter".
    To me, an "in-store promoter" is the person who stands at the end of an aisle handing out samples of a particular product to increase that product's sales. The "promoter" may or may not be an employee of the store. Often, they actually work for: a) a third-party promotion company, or b) the product company itself.

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    la reine victoria said:
    The person making these announcements is called "an in-store promoter".
    That's a bit grand for most of the Tannoying:D voices I hear.
    They're usually just whichever staff member is free at the time.

I think I've been misunderstood. I was trying to create a title for the person who makes these announcements - there must be one. This is Roniy's question.

In my brief time in retailing it was always done by the receptionist or her assistant. That's why I used "an in-store promoter" (a member of staff).

Perhaps I should have chosen "attention seeker" (in the nicest possible way). Such proclamations always begin, "This is a customer announcement." = (I'm trying to get your attention)

"Fed up with the same old mousetrap cheese? Wondering what to give your man for a special treat tonight? Why not visit our delicatessen section and sample our exciting new range of cheeses? You will find many special offers today! Thank you."

What do you call such an announcer?

Tony - behave yourself. ;)

LRV

french4beth

US-English
    < Previous | Next >