Vocabulary:

< Previous | Next >

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
If you go to a place that everything you buy inside you pay only when you leave the place. But you must leave some valuable at the front desk as a _____________ what guarantees that you will pay in the end of your visit.

Would you call that a "guarantee" ????
or maybe you familiar with better words ????

I know "deposit" would be correct here, right ? Because I know deposit we use when you want to reserve a place for you selebration so you pay an initial amount of money to guarantee that you will selebrate there.

• foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    . said:
    Deposit is the first word that springs to my mind.

The expression is, you are leaving something valuable "as a security." The "a" is necessary. "Security deposit" reflects this unusual sense of the word (which took the place of the word surety)-- but that phrase refers only to money left as a security.

roniy

foxfirebrand said:
    "as a security."
    Thank you two :)
    but I have one last question.
    fox you said that with "security", in this context, you say "as a security".

And from the first post I understand that "deposit" would work here.
    So how would you say that :

"You have to leave something as a security/on deposit"

"on deposit" correct here ??? i mean the preposition ??

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    "On deposit" sounds fine, assuming the context shows what the situation is. I can also see where it would apply to something other than money.

roniy

foxfirebrand said:
    "On deposit" sounds fine, assuming the context shows what the situation is. I can also see where it would apply to something other than money.
    Thank you so much.
    I appreciate your help :)

< Previous | Next >