Vocabulary

• Andygc

British English
    It's not a clear image, and the ring does not look like a split ring. It's only a key fob if a key can be attached to the ring. If the ring is not a split ring I haven't the least idea what to call the thing.

Joseph A

Kurdish
    Could you tell us what its purpose is?
    Thank you, Andygc and PaulQ.
    There three pictures; a pen, cap, and this one with a price stuck to each. This one is thr most expensive and its price is $$$, the price of the cap is $$ and the pencil is $. Here, we have to compare them. Which one is the most/least expensive? But I don't know what to call it.

Joseph A

Kurdish
    Thank you, se16teddy and ewie.
    It's clear. If you say which one is the most or least expensive, you have to mention the thing. I didn't know the meaning of that thing. So we need its name.
    .......is the most expensive.
    The pencil is the least expensive.
    You see we need its name.

ewie

English English
    Well I'm stumped.
    It doesn't look like any keyring I've ever seen as the ring looks like it's made of plastic: if it was a plastic split ring* [post #6], the whole thing would shatter very easily.
    The only other thing I can think of is one of those air freshener things you put in your car:

*This is a split ring, by the way:

heypresto

English - England
    I admit I was a wee bit hasty in suggesting it could be a key fob :rolleyes:.

But whatever it is, I'm surprised it could be the most expensive of more or less any set of three things.

se16teddy

English - England
    Joseph, I suspect that the point of the exercise is that neither you nor we know what the object in the picture is for, so we do not know what to call it. You are being asked to describe an object whose function is unknown, and which therefore has no name.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    When I enlarge the image, it has "sparkles" around it - I suspect that it supposed to be a piece of jewellery made of gold.

Joseph A

Kurdish
    Thank you so much, ewie, heypresto, se16teddy, and PaulQ.
    I bothered you too much. I appreciate your help.

Chasint

English - England

ewie

English English
    No, that it's a charm bracelet charm.

But hey, I've already swallowed that it's 'made of gold' ... and that it's an item of 'jewellery' ... so I may as well swallow that it's a 'charm'.

:cool:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I think it's a Gummi four- leafed clover. Heaven knows what it really is, I would try and find something similar using the image find function if I felt we'd been given enough information.

Chasint

English - England
    Aha! Now I see what it is! It's an earring. Because the picture is so fuzzy it is difficult to spot the retractable part of the the ring. But if you look carefully ...

Loob

English UK
    Erm: doesn't that slider make it less like an earring and more like a ... key fob?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I wouldn't think so. Key fobs are more like ewie's split-ring at #11 or they have a clip. Also, key fobs are cheap - this is expensive.

Joseph A

Kurdish
    Thank you all.
    I'm reading the answers, Loob. I'm not sure which answer I should pick. :) I'm so sorry that I bothered you. I didn't know that this difficulty would arise. I might call it "charm, key fob". I don't know. In my country, we don't have such a thing, and I thought there was such jewellery in Britain and America. Unfortunately, this situation came up.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    That's a trick of the light. The same spot is directly opposite.

It could be anything. It could be something from a child's playset.

Joseph A

Kurdish
    Thank you, Schnitta and Chasint.
    I'm sure it's not "a baby rattle". We may call it "the item with the $$$...":)

< Previous | Next >