Vocalic R in French ([ɐ])?

cetait

English
I haven't read about this, but just from my own personal observation, are R's at the ends of syllables, particularly when next to a vowel? I haven't seen any phonological research about this but then again I can say that for other French stuff too, plus I have also noticed that languages that used the uvular fricative like German and Luxembourgish also use a vocalic R in the same circumstance, though it seems unlike what it would be in French if true, it wouldn't be mandatory and just dialectal since I can still hear people who clearly make a fricative R but others who clearly do not. But in modern songs and speech from France I often times don't hear a uvular fricative or a consonant sound for that matter in such circumstance

So examples would be like with words such as venir, merci, cherche would be (or rather, could be) -> [və.niɐ] , [mɛɐ.si], [ʃɛɐ.ʃ]

Thoughts?

• berndf

German (Germany)
    I know what you mean and I have asked myself the same thing. I have come to the conclusion that it is an artefact of singing. In spoken language it practically never occurs and as a German it sometimes happens to me that I vocalize my Rs in syllable coda. This has occasionally caused people not understanding the word. So, I don't think native speakers are prepared the encounter R-vocalization.

This is of course a totally unscientific observation.

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    No, I don't believe R is vocalized in France even in the east. When Luxembourgers do it occasionally, it gives the impression of a very thick accent and can be ridiculed.
    What does happen is the R can be weakened and devoiced by some speakers in final position. So you can hear pour /pux/ and par /pax/ with a faint sweet pronounciation. But that is not universal and can vary. It's not even regional. I heard one conversation where one woman said finir /finix/ and the other answered /finirr/. But /finiɐ/ would be foreign sounding.

Swatters

French - Belgium, some Wallo-Picard
    If anything, voiceless uvulars (fricative, but also trills and fricative-trills in Belgium) are an Eastern thing, while more lenited voiced approximants are common in central dialects. I suspect this [ʁ̞] is what the OP's interpreting as a vowel, but it's hard to tell without examples.

I's noticed /r/ vocalisation in my own speech in a few contexts, but they're rather limited (unstressed /arC/ sequences which end up as [ɐ:C])

berndf

German (Germany)
    I's noticed /r/ vocalisation in my own speech in a few contexts, but they're rather limited (unstressed /arC/ sequences which end up as [ɐ:C])
    But it would never go so far as to merge minimal pair like arme and âme, right? Because that's what's happening in German.
    I suspect this [ʁ̞] is what the OP's interpreting as a vowel, but it's hard to tell without examples.
    Quite possible. I have had debates with English speakers here in WRF about [ʁ̞] vs. [ɐ] (in German, not in French, though). They often don't hear a difference where I do. These sounds are indeed difficult to distinguish.
    If anything, voiceless uvulars (fricative, but also trills and fricative-trills in Belgium) are an Eastern thing, while more lenited voiced approximants are common in central dialects.
    In certain positions, like in front of a voiceless consonant as in porte, I would say r-devoicing is quite a widespread phenomenon in all French speaking countries (at least those in Europe). Wouldn't you agree?

Swatters

French - Belgium, some Wallo-Picard
    But it would never go so far as to merge minimal pair like arme and âme, right? Because that's what's happening in German.
    It wouldn't you're right, there's a clear prosidic and quantitative distinction between, say, armature and âme mature (with the /ar/ of armature being shorter than the /a:/ of âme, to be clear, but longer than the /a/ of amateur).

In certain positions, like in front of a voiceless consonant as in porte, I would say r-devoicing is quite a widespread phenomenon in all French speaking countries (at least those in Europe). Wouldn't you agree?
    Right, I mostly meant that Eastern European dialects extend this devoicing to more contexts, most commonly word-finally, but also to some where there's no phonological motivation for devoicing to occur, like intervocally or before voiced obstruents.

berndf

German (Germany)
    Right, I mostly meant that Eastern European dialects extend this devoicing to more contexts, most commonly word-finally, but also to some where there's no phonological motivation for devoicing to occur, like intervocally or before voiced obstruents.
    In pausa (at the end of an utterance), final r-devoicing exists in France too, though not as regularly as in front of voiceless consonants. E.g. here you hear it quite clearly with three (gwen_bzh, Clador06 and Domigloup) of the six speaker pronouncing the word noir in isolation.

cetait

English
    I actually wondered this myself, and personally what I assumed was that it would be distinguished by vowel length maybe

If anything, voiceless uvulars (fricative, but also trills and fricative-trills in Belgium) are an Eastern thing, while more lenited voiced approximants are common in central dialects. I suspect this [ʁ̞] is what the OP's interpreting as a vowel, but it's hard to tell without examples.

I say three words here, with and then without the [ɐ] to try to showcase the differences. It's at least what I assume to be [ɐ] when pronouncing.
    https://www.speakpipe.com/voice-recorder/msg/l35yf5zuh6a634au

As has already been noted, it doesn't seem widespread/mandatory like in Luxembourgish or German, but dialectal and can vary wildly in French, but I often times don't even hear a voiceless consonant either.

cetait

English

Quite possible. I have had debates with English speakers here in WRF about [ʁ̞] vs. [ɐ] (in German, not in French, though). They often don't hear a difference where I do. These sounds are indeed difficult to distinguish.
    I have a question to you about this. Would the difference between [ʁ̞] vs. [ɐ] be analogous to [j] and , or basically about how vocalic they are? Because from what I'm aware of, if you lower a fricative it essentially becomes a vowel, but I did just think it may just become semi-vocalic rather than completely vocalic and thus [ɐ].

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    cherche = ʃɛʁʃ

noir = nwaʁ

merci = mɛʁsi
    venir = vəniʁ
    fermer = fɛʁme (here the final r is devoiced)
    For me the /ʁ/ is very French. Perhaps I am missing your point.

From my experience of teaching English to French people, my advice is Native speakers can be pardoned for mispronunciations, as a second language speaker you are unlikely to be. Folks will simply think you are mispronouncing, rather than assume some high level of authenticity on your part.

Last edited:

berndf

German (Germany)
    I have a question to you about this. Would the difference between [ʁ̞] vs. [ɐ] be analogous to [j] and , or basically about how vocalic they are? Because from what I'm aware of, if you lower a fricative it essentially becomes a vowel, but I did just think it may just become semi-vocalic rather than completely vocalic and thus [ɐ].
    You mean if day would be [deɪ] or [dej]. Yes, I would say that is similar. There is a continuous transition from one to the other.

clamor

French - France
    I have a question to you about this. Would the difference between [ʁ̞] vs. [ɐ] be analogous to [j] and , or basically about how vocalic they are? Because from what I'm aware of, if you lower a fricative it essentially becomes a vowel, but I did just think it may just become semi-vocalic
    I think I don't get it. I'd say that since [ʁ̞] is uvular, it would be more likely to correspond to [ɑ̯]. It is an approximant. It means the tongue is closer to the other articulator than in vowels (furthermore there is no vowel so back in the mouth), but further than in fricatives.

cetait

English
    I think I don't get it. I'd say that since [ʁ̞] is uvular, it would be more likely to correspond to [ɑ̯]. It is an approximant. It means the tongue is closer to the other articulator than in vowels (furthermore there is no vowel so back in the mouth), but further than in fricatives.
    Am I missing something here? I thought that diatric meant lowered rather than non-syllabic. At least according to guides online I see, ◌̝ is raised, and ◌̯ is non-syllabic.

cetait

English
    Yes, that is the sign @clamor used.

Edit: Cross-posted.
    oh I was looking at the wrong letter. I thought he was talking about [ʁ̞] and not [ɑ̯]; didn't pay attention to that diatric in his post.

So it does seem that it's agreed that [ʁ̞] becomes a vowel but maybe that it's not fully voiced and is actually a semi-vowel? Or am I missing the plot here?

clamor

French - France
    As an approximant^^
    It is to say, something between a fricative and a vowel (in terms of ''narrowing'' between the articulators).
    Maybe someone else could explain it better.

< Previous | Next >