voglio salutare

karunavera

italia italiano
Another question: which is the formal way to say voglio salutare i miei ospiti (anfitrioni)? My poor attempt is: I'm pleased/want to send my best greetings to my hosts. Can I use "to greet" with the meaning of salutare?
Thanks a lot.

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Another question: which is the formal way to say voglio salutare i miei ospiti (anfitrioni)?
    My poor attempt is:
    I'm pleased/want to send my best greetings to my hosts.
    Can I use "to greet" with the meaning of salutare?
    Thanks a lot.
    Hi Karunavera!

The answer to this is very dependent on context.
    It could be some of the following:

I want to say hello to my hosts.
    I want to greet my hosts.
    I would like to extend a warm greeting to my hosts.

Are you writing it? Are you saying it in a speech? Is it formal/informal?

karunavera

italia italiano
    Hi Karunavera!

The answer to this is very dependent on context.
    It could be some of the following:

I want to say hello to my hosts.
    I want to greet my hosts.:tick:
    I would like to extend a warm greeting to my hosts.

Are you writing it? Are you saying it in a speech? Is it formal/informal?
    First of all it's a very formal context and it's a speech; I'm surprised 'cause I always thought that "to greet" ment only 'to welcome' or accogliere-in italian - and the WR diccionary too translate it in this way.
    Is it coorect if I say "to send my greetings or regards"?

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    First of all it's a very formal context and it's a speech; I'm surprised 'cause I always thought that "to greet" ment only 'to welcome' or accogliere-in italian - and the WR diccionary too translate it in this way.
    Is it coorect if I say "to send my greetings or regards"?
    You are correct, thus my confusion, and the need for more context - you generally don't "greet" someone who is sitting next to you.

Ok, so I assume you are giving a speech, and it's at the beginning, and you want to thank them.

Here are a few ways - there are millions.

I would like to thank my hosts for this evening - for their kind invitation and warm welcome.
    I would like to thank my hosts for this evening, and thank all of you for your kind invitation and warm welcome.
    I would like to thank this evening's hosts, and salute them for the work they done in organizing this conference. And I'd also like to thank all of you for your attendance.

And many more depending on the context.

< Previous | Next >