Voice type

< Previous | Next >

Befriend

Spanish
give students a short passage and get them to read it aloud, trying to voice type it verbatim

• Befriend

Spanish
    ]
    Welcome to the forum.

Could you give us your source and the context please?

It's about different ways to learn pronunciation.
    Here are some ideas that you could use with ASR:

• Minimal pairs practice – provide students with a list of minimal pairs of a difficult set of phonemes
    • Tongue twisters – provide students with a tongue twister with a target sound or pair of sounds
    • Dictation – give students a short passage and get them to read it aloud, trying to voice type it verbatim
    • Thought groups – get students to divide a short passage into thought groups, and then get students to voice type each thought group as fluently and accurately as possible
    • <--->

< Quotation reduced to comply with 4-sentence limit (Rule 4). Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

Myridon

English - US
    A stereotypical German accent saying "We have ways of making you talk." would cause the ASR to produce "V half vase off May King you tock." You want to speak so the ASR produces the right words - produces the words of your speech in the computer exactly as you mean them to be.

(I wouldn't call that "voice typing" or "verbatim" but that's not the point.)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    What you are trying to do here is type (enter data, usually via a keyboard, but not here) using your voice. In other words, you try to speak in such a way that voice recognition software in a computer will understand what you are saying. If you can do this, your pronunciation is approximately correct. If the computer does not recognize what you say, you can look at what it thinks* you said and learn something about your errors.

Befriend

Spanish
    I don't really trust ASR or translators because most of them will translate literally but ASR is a practical tool. I always use Howjsay.com or Forvos which use native people to pronounce the word correctly.

< Previous | Next >