voler de ses propres ailes

• rsweet

English, North America
    I think "stand on my own two feet" is a very good translation. Depending on the context you could also say, "I can fly solo." This refers to a pilot's training. When someone first learns to fly a plane, an instructor must be present. After a certain amount of flying, the pilot is able to make a solo flight, or fly solo, without the instructor.

rsweet

English, North America
    Gardefeu said:
    Just a vague remembrance... isn't there such a phrase as fly one's own flight?
    I've never heard it phrased like that. People would know pretty much what you meant, but this wording is not commonly used . . . at least in AE.

JamesM

There are a few more that have similar meanings besides the excellent one already suggested:

"Make my own way" (live independently)
    "Try out my wings" (take a chance on your own with a risk of failure)

jetman

English - USA
    fly one's own flight - I never heard of that.

Other things that came to mind are working without a net (a reference to a trapeze artist who no longer fears falling) and removing the training wheels (a reference to a child who can ride a two-wheeler without help).

Behane

English, England
    it's not perfect, but my first thought was 'to spread one's wings' - which has several meanings:

1 - to use one's full potential,

2 - to esacpe from a confining atmosphere in order to do so

3- to do new and exciting things for the first time in your life.

eg: going to university gave Gemma the chance to spread her wings and become independant from her family

< Previous | Next >