voler de ses propres ailes

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by joaquim, Aug 16, 2006.

1. joaquim Senior Member

Hi,

how can i say "voler de mes propres ailes" in english ? Is there an expression with the same meaning than in french ?

thanks

Joaquim

2. jetman

jetman Senior Member

Vermont
    English - USA
    I can stand on my own two feet.

3. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    I think "stand on my own two feet" is a very good translation. Depending on the context you could also say, "I can fly solo." This refers to a pilot's training. When someone first learns to fly a plane, an instructor must be present. After a certain amount of flying, the pilot is able to make a solo flight, or fly solo, without the instructor.

4. Gardefeu Senior Member

French (France)
    Just a vague remembrance... isn't there such a phrase as fly one's own flight?

5. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    I've never heard it phrased like that. People would know pretty much what you meant, but this wording is not commonly used . . . at least in AE.

6. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod (English Only)

There are a few more that have similar meanings besides the excellent one already suggested:

"Make my own way" (live independently)
    "Try out my wings" (take a chance on your own with a risk of failure)

7. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    Good suggestions, JamesM. :thumbsup:

8. jetman

jetman Senior Member

Vermont
    English - USA
    fly one's own flight - I never heard of that.

Other things that came to mind are working without a net (a reference to a trapeze artist who no longer fears falling) and removing the training wheels (a reference to a child who can ride a two-wheeler without help).

9. Behane Senior Member

St Etienne
    English, England
    it's not perfect, but my first thought was 'to spread one's wings' - which has several meanings:

1 - to use one's full potential,

2 - to esacpe from a confining atmosphere in order to do so

3- to do new and exciting things for the first time in your life.

eg: going to university gave Gemma the chance to spread her wings and become independant from her family

10. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    i can fend for myself