Volle Kanne, Hoschi

polyglotguy

English - USA
What does "Volle Kanne, Hoschi" mean?

I found it in the trivia to the movie "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" at IMDB, where it says, "At the time some of the German dubbed catch phrases (ie. "Volle Kanne, Hoschi") became so popular that they were adapted by many people and used as common language."

I find it hard to even guess what "Volle Kanne, Hoschi" means. "Volle Kanne" means "full pot," I think. I'm not sure about "Hoschi."

Thanks in advance.

• Mama Caraïbo

Türkçe
    Volle Kanne means ''full pot'' as you say, (see Gießkanne, Teekanne etc.)

''Hoschi'' is a colloquial expression which means ''pal, friend.'' (Kumpel, Freund.)

Hope that helps. :)

Lykurg

German
    "volle Kanne" is used as an intensifier in colloquial language, as in
    "er hat ihr volle Kanne auf den Fuß getreten" ~> he forcefully stepped on her foot,
    "er schießt den Ball volle Kanne aufs Tor" (something that didn't happen today^^).
    Often the verb will be omitted: "Er war schon weg, ich ihm also volle Kanne hinterher..." ~ He was gone, so I [ran] after him as fast as I could.

The phrase "Volle Kanne, Hoschi" is even broader in meaning; I'm not sure about its limits, maybe from "I agree, pal" to "Hi, dude!", but I could be completely wrong here. I haven't heard it for more than ten years now...

HON_Redakteur

Englisch - U.S.
    Hi, polyglottguy:

A bit of googling should yield the definitive answer to your question. Off the cuff, I'd say that "Volle Kanne, Hoschi!" was the German translation of "Right on, dude!".

Best,

Hutschi

"Volle Kanne!" is also slang for "So schnell, wie möglich!", "Mit aller Macht!", "Volle Kraft!", "Gib Gas!", "Jetzt aber los!", "Jetzt aber Beeilung!", "Volle/maximale Geschwindigkeit!"

It means that you should be as fast as possible.
    But this is only in the imperative form in the short form as in "Volle Kanne, (Hoschi)!" Lykurg gave non-imperative examples with broader meanings.

In usual language it can mean "volle Gießkanne": "Bitte reiche mir mal die volle Kanne, Hoschi, ich möchte den Baum gießen!" - "Please give me the full watering can, Hoschi!"

I do not know "Hoschi", but it can be a nick name.

"Husch, husch!" means something like "be fast".

Consider the article about your movie in the Wikipedia. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Teds_verr%C3%BCckte_Reise_durch_die_Zeit

Note: "Volle Kanne!" is old. It did not come with this movie, but existed long ago. IMDB did not consider this. It is only "Hoschi" which is new in this context.

Last edited:

HON_Redakteur

Englisch - U.S.
    N.B.: In German fraternities, "In die Kanne!" is an order by a higher-ranking member to a lower-ranking member to take a long draught of beer (usually in response to some minor infraction by the lower-ranking member).

Best,

< Previous | Next >