volti a valutare

AnnaT

Italy
I found these translations:
aimed at = mirato a
aim to = mirare a

My doubt is: can I use both aimed at/to or is there any difference between the two forms?

(I don't have any context, cause my doubt come from my looking around in the website)

THANK YOU :)

• baldpate

UK, English
    Secondo me, il "to" si usa solo quando il verbo "to aim" e' seguito di un altro verbo all'infinito (per precisare, uno nel "to form"), in che caso quel "to" appartiene proprio all' infinito seguente e non a "aim". Esempi:
    • We aim to achieve better results next year. [mirare a realizzare]
    • Scientists aim to beat influenza with a new vaccine. [mirare a sconfiggere]
    Le preposizione che appartengono correttamente a "to aim" sono "at" e "for".
    • If you really must shoot at someone, aim for the heart. [miri al cuore]
    • One doesn't succeed in life by aiming at targets which are easy to achieve. [mirando ai obiettivi]
    • This product is aimed at the younger generation. [e' rivolto a]

Salbina

US
    Italiano
    Secondo me, il "to" si usa solo quando il verbo "to aim" e' seguito di un altro verbo all'infinito (per precisare, uno nel "to form"), in che caso quel "to" appartiene proprio all' infinito seguente e non a "aim".

Quindi se uso la "-ing form" va bene "at"? Cioè "our research is aimed at studying..." or "aimed to study(ing)"?

Thanks, Salbina

Salbina

US
    Italiano
    Thanks rrose17, just a further clarification: can our research be aimed to studying or only at studying?

effeundici

Italian - Tuscany
    Secondo me, il "to" si usa solo quando il verbo "to aim" e' seguito da un altro verbo all'infinito (per precisare, uno nel "to form"), in che questo caso quel "to" appartiene proprio all' infinito seguente e non ad "aim". Esempi:
    • We aim to achieve better results next year. [mirare a realizzare]
    • Scientists aim to beat influenza with a new vaccine. [mirare a sconfiggere]
    Le preposizione preposizioni che appartengono correttamente a "to aim" sono "at" e "for".
    • If you really must shoot at someone, aim for the heart. [miri al cuore]
    • One doesn't succeed in life by aiming at targets which are easy to achieve. [mirando ai obiettivi]
    • This product is aimed at the younger generation. [e' rivolto a]

alizzia1985

Italian
    Hi everybody,
    now it's my turn to have a doubt...

How would you translate:
    "In molti studi volti a valutare la capacità di XX di causare risposte gliali considerate caratteristiche di danno al sistema nervoso centrale, ..." ?

"In many studies aimed to evaluate / at evaluating the ability of XX to cause glial responses considered to be characteristic of central nervous system injury, ..."

which is the correct one?

(the sentence "cause glial responses considered to be characteristic of central nervous system injury" is taken from a scientific paper written by an American researcher; can I avoid to write "to be" ? -> "... considered characteristic of central nervous system injury")

Thank you

rrose17

Canada, English
    This is exactly the same as above ...aimed at evaluating... But I would write it slightly different as in
    In many studies whose aim is evaluating XX's ability to cause...

alizzia1985

Italian
    Thanks rrose17!
    I supposed so... but the construction seemed a little strange to me, so I preferred to ask about it...!

Last edited:

alizzia1985

Italian
    And what about:
    "In many studies with the aim of evaluating the ability of XX to cause glial responses considered to be characteristic of central nervous system injury, ..." ?

rrose17

Canada, English
    And what about:
    "In many studies with the aim of evaluating the ability of XX to cause glial responses considered to be characteristic of central nervous system injury, ..." ?
    You could wait to hear from others but it strikes me as too many words. After considering it I'd drop the word aim altogether.
    In many studies evaluating XX's ability...

< Previous | Next >