Voluntary work vs volunteer work

uktous

cantonese
Hi,

Any difference between voluntary work and volunteer work?

Example: I did many voluntary work / volunteer work. I taught students without asking for moeny.

Thanks

• morior_invictus

Slovak
    Hi,

in my opinion "voluntary work" = "volunteer work" and I think the first one is mostly used in BrE and the second one in AmE, but I`m not sure about it.

sdgraham

USA English
    In the U.S., "volunteer work" is a concept meaning, generally, work done on behalf of some worthy individual or organization, such as a charity.

"Voluntary work" is simply an adjective preceding a noun.

Andygc

British English
    In the UK, "voluntary work" is a concept meaning, generally, work done on behalf of some worthy individual or organization, such as a charity.

"Volunteer work" is simply a noun being used adjectivally before a noun.

:)

owlman5

English-US
    For some types of positions like this, Silver, we use the word "internship" to talk about unpaid or poorly paid jobs that young people might take with a company in an effort to gain experience in an industry. She had an internship with the Mobile Corporation this summer.

I'd probably use something like "I have a volunteer position (not volunteering) with the X organization." This could refer to any unpaid function that I was performing for that organization. Or "I volunteer with/for X." This version is probably the most common.

< Previous | Next >