vos o tu en Argentina

< Previous | Next >

citygirl

USA English
Half the time my friend uses "vos", the other "tu" when he is talking to me. Are there any rules about which should be used when?
Gracias...

• andym

English - England
    Hi

I'm sure you'll get some useful responses from Argentina (and the rest of Latin America) but there are a couple of useful resources that might be worth checking out on this.

http://www.rae.es/

In the column on the right you need to click on 'Diccionario panhispánico de dudas' then enter 'voseo' in the search box.

There's also a podcast on this by an Argentinean called Sofía if you search on 'desde el baño' in iTunes or google you should find it - the other podcasts are interesting as well.

Mafelo505

Spanish / Argentina
    Hi citygirl

In Argentina we always use "vos" familiarly and "Usted" formally for the second person singular pronoun.

vos venís o te quedás ?
    Usted viene o se queda ?

If your friends uses "tú" he might have lived in Spain for a longtime and be mixing terms. You'll never hear from an argentine the following:

tú vienes o te quedas ?

Something totally different is:

tu coche nuevo me gusta mucho.

I like your new car very much

Please let me know if this helps.

regards

natasha2000

If your friends uses "tú" he might have lived in Spain for a longtime and be mixing terms. You'll never hear from an argentine the following:
    Or simply influenced by your using TÚ.
    I chat with an Argentinian who has lived all his life in Argentina. He always mixes up VOS and TU, and my wild guess is because he is influenced by my constant using TÚ. ;) I am sure he never uses TÚ when speaking with his compatriots....:)

Mafelo505

Spanish / Argentina
    Hi citygirl

You'll never hear from an argentine the following:

tú vienes o te quedas ?
    I should have said:

You'll never hear from an argentine who has always lived in Argentina the following:

tú vienes o te quedas ?

Every day I find myself saying vos or depending who I speak to here in Madrid. :)

citygirl

USA English
    Ahh.... gracias! I bet it is my using the "tú" that makes it complicated.

Add the fact that this is over IM & I can't write tú with the accent. So it always takes me a bit to figure out if he means or tu.:rolleyes:

Thanks all!!

Juliomelecio

Español Venezuela
    Vos is also used in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and the northwest part of Venezuela. The rest of latinamerican countries use tú.
    Cheers.

citygirl

USA English
    So one follow up question: Why is it when using "" you would say "tú vienes" but with vos you say "vos venes" ?

Bienvenidos

USA
    English
    So one follow up question: Why is it when using "" you would say "tú vienes" but with vos you say "vos venís" ?
    The conjugation goes with the voseo. Vos venís (tú vienes), vos tenés (tú tienes), vos sos (tú eres),
    Even with regular verbs, an accent is added to the ending in the vos form:

vos hablás (tú hablas)
    vos comés (tú comes)

Hope this helps :)

Pacus

Spanish / Paraguay
    Vos is also used in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and the northwest part of Venezuela. The rest of latinamerican countries use tú.
    Cheers.
    We also use "vos" in Paraguay. You'll hardly find a Paraguayan who uses . Vos is also used in Chile and Uruguay.

PPC

Spanish-Chile
    In Chile, when speaking VERY informally, you can say:

vo' querí' comer ahora? Vo' tení' un lápiz? I'm noting our aspirated "s" with a '. :)

AAND....when you are being very loving, you use "usted"...between husbands and wives, parents to children, boyfriend and girlfriend...

Most people will use tu, but more as a slang and informally you can hear variations of the vos...which do not coincide with the conjugation of the verb in Argentinian/Uruguayan, etc.

I've also heard that in Guatemala men will use the vos and women the "tu"...to complicate matters even further.

Pacus

Spanish / Paraguay
    In Chile, when speaking VERY informally, you can say:

vo' querí' comer ahora? Vo' tení' un lápiz? I'm noting our aspirated "s" with a '. :)

AAND....when you are being very loving, you use "usted"...between husbands and wives, parents to children, boyfriend and girlfriend...

Most people will use tu, but more as a slang and informally you can hear variations of the vos...which do not coincide with the conjugation of the verb in Argentinian/Uruguayan, etc.

I've also heard that in Guatemala men will use the vos and women the "tu"...to complicate matters even further.
    Yes, I've mentioned Chile because of what I often see in Chilean television. Vo' me querí? Vo' me amái? or something like that...

Juliomelecio

Español Venezuela
    Yes, I've mentioned Chile because of what I often see in Chilean television. Vo' me querí? Vo' me amái? or something like that...
    Thank you. I had not heard about paraguayans and uruguayans, ¿but Chile?. I don´t think so.

En Venezuela nadie habla de vos, porque no te conocen. (just a joke)
    Saludos.

Juliomelecio

Español Venezuela
    There´s something I don´t understand with the use of vos. For instance, they say: vos apurAte, we say tú apÚrate. But hey say Ud. apÚrese. In order to be consistent, they should say: Ud. apurEse.
    On the other hand, we use as nominative and te and ti as objetive.
    They use vos as nominative and objetive, they don´t use ti, butthey use te as objetive, for instance, vos venís o te quedás. I think that te is the objetive for .
    Chao

Pacus

Spanish / Paraguay
    Thank you. I had not heard about paraguayans and uruguayans, ¿but Chile?. I don´t think so.

Saludos.
    As far as I know (or hear), Uruguayans speak in the same way as Argentinians, with practically the same accent, slangs, etc.

I don't know about Argentinian people, but as for me, when I hear Uruguayan people, I wouldn't tell if they're Uruguayan or Argentinian... their "voseo" and other expressions are practically the same...

elbosqueterno

English, United States
    Just because you don't know they use vos somewhere doesn't mean they don't... Yes they use vos in at least part of Chile, but the conjugation is different ( vos estai). Vos is also prevalent in Costa Rica. See the Wikipedia article on Voseo for details.

0stsee

Banned
    Indonesian

Saludos.

In Chile it's more common to use the vos-verb, but to retain tú. As "tú hablái" instead of "vos hablás". But this is only colloquial and used among peers. Otherwise the standardized Castillian conjugation of tú is used.

Mark

< Previous | Next >