vote out / not vote

epistolario

Tagalog
When you watch political videos online, once in a while you will see comments like this:

a) Let's just vote these Republicans/Democrats out of the office.​

I realize that in my native language, we would say not vote:

b) Don't vote for any Republican/Democratic candidate in the next elections.​

I'm not sure if (a) and (b) are interchangeable statements or if there is a subtle difference.

Case in point: In the previous senatorial elections here, eight belonged to an unpopular political party of a former president. It's a combination of incumbent senators and those running for the position for the first time. Neither one of them has won, so can we say that their political party was voted out last election? I'm asking because it appears that vote out applies to incumbent senators, congressmen, etc.

• sdgraham

USA English
    No they are not interchangeable. "Vote out" means to vote for an opponent to take the place of somebody you do not like.
    "Not voting" is not the same thing. "Not voting" is not worth as much politically as voting against somebody, i.e. voting for an opponent.

epistolario

Tagalog
    Thanks. Just to clarify, vote out is only applied to incumbent politicians running for the same office or political party, and not vote to new candidates like in these examples:

a) politicians running for higher office or a different one (e.g., congressman to senator, senator to president, senator to governor)
    b) people running for office for the first time

Also, if there are five presidential candidates and you like neither one of them, you tell everybody not to vote any of them.

sdgraham

USA English
    Thanks. Just to clarify, vote out is only applied to incumbent politicians running for the same office or political party, and not vote to new candidates like in these examples:

a) politicians running for higher office or a different one (e.g., congressman to senator, senator to president, senator to governor)
    b) people running for office for the first time
    You are correct. You cannot vote out any official who is not in the office involved.
    Also, if there are five presidential candidates and you like neither one of don't like any of them, you tell everybody not to vote any of them.
    You can, but since the reality is that since one will be elected, not voting has the same political effect as forgetting to vote or being too drunk to go to the polls.

< Previous | Next >