vote to/on/for the bill

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Himanshu Sindhi, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Himanshu Sindhi Senior Member

Hindi
    This question was asked in an exam in India as...

In the following questions, some parts of the sentences have errors and some are correct. Find out which part of a sentence has an error. The number of that part is the answer. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (4) i.e. No error.

The Parliament took a historic (1)/ decision to back the will of (2)/ the people and vote to the bill (3)/ No Error (4)

As per the official answer key, the error is in "part 3". Would it be "vote on the bill"? Because we "vote for (a person)", "vote to (power)" and "vote on (resolution)".

2. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Presumably they’re looking for the correction “vote for the bill” (meaning in favour of it).

3. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    "On" wouldn't make for a historic decision because they vote on every bill.

4. nh01 Senior Member

Turkish
    So, would it be wrong to say "They will vote for general elections today." in all conditions? Thank you in advance.

5. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    What would you mean by that? A general election is called by the person or party in power. There isn’t a public vote for or against holding a general election in the first place – which is what that sentence implies.

6. nh01 Senior Member

Turkish
    I don't want to express "for" or "against" but I want to mean the act of voting in general. So should I say "They will vote in general elections today."? Thanks in advance.

7. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    “They’ll vote in a (or the) general election today” would make sense. There’s only one at a time!

8. nh01 Senior Member

Turkish
    Thank you a lot. I think you mean that there is no need to make "election" plural, right?

9. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Not that there’s no need, but that it makes no sense – it would be wrong (unless you were talking about two or more countries having general elections on the same day).

10. nh01 Senior Member

Turkish
    Thanks for this helpful point.
    One more question about "vote for/in" matter. Is "for" certainly necessary in these sentences below? And would using "to" instead of "for" certainly be wrong?

Which party will you vote for in the general election?
    For which party will you vote in the general election?

11. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Yes. The verb vote is intransitive in the sense of casting your vote. You vote for a candidate. But if they win, they are said to have been “voted in”.

12. nh01 Senior Member

Turkish
    Which candidate will win the election?
    Which candidate will win in the election?

Is it possible to use both interchangeably? Thanks.

13. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    There’s no need to add “in” to that example. It would not be wrong, but it’s much less idiomatic.

Winning in an election is not the same as being “voted in”, which is a set phrase connected with being voted into a position.