voxel-based lesion-symptom mapping evidence from aphasia"

< Previous | Next >

bepleased

Banned
Chinese
http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/132/12/3411

"Anterior temporal involvement in semantic word retrieval: voxel-based lesion-symptom mapping evidence from aphasia"

Hi,
The above is a topic of a paper. and the follow is the first of the abstract.

Analysis of error types provides useful information about the stages and processes involved in normal and aphasic word production.
..............................................................................................

My question from the topic and the first lines;
first gives my undersatning ---
1. The author has "anterior temporal" as a necessary part of "semantic word retrieval"
2. the evidence made of "voxel-based lesion-symptom mapping"
3. the evidence from the word production by the man who was like a aphasia not an actual aphasia or an actual?
4. "semantic word retrieval" = in the way of semantics, to bring back the word production to find out the error rate

5. word production --- the production of word in humanbeings

Any one could help me to clear it up?

Thank your help.
bepleased

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Pretty high-level academic papers you are reading now, bepleased!
    (My comments in black are in amongst your blue text)
    "Anterior temporal involvement in semantic word retrieval: voxel-based lesion-symptom mapping evidence from aphasia"

1. The author has "anterior temporal" as a necessary part of "semantic word retrieval"
    The study demonstrates that the anterior temporal lobe ( a specific part of the brain) is an important part of the brain used when a patient is trying to retrieve words based on semantics.
    2. the evidence made of "voxel-based lesion-symptom mapping"
    The observation method used for collecting information on what was happening in the patents' brains is named that way. A voxel is a "volume element" in three dimensions. ( like a pixel is a "picture element" in 2 dimensions) By looking at the properties of each voxel in the brain during the test, they can see which ones are functioning/malfunctioning (a lesion is where some process is not occuring correctly) when a particular symptom is being manifested. They are trying to identify where in the brain a defect is located that can be "mapped" or linked to a symptom.
    3. the evidence from the word production by the man who was like a aphasia not an actual aphasia or an actual?
    There were more than 60 patients in the study and they all suffered from post-stroke aphasia.
    4. "semantic word retrieval" = in the way of semantics, to bring back the word production to find out the error rate
    Semantic word retrieval is what the investigators were studying. If you show a person a picture of a horse, do they remember the word horse or do they remember the word cow? Cow would be represent a semantic word retrieval error !

5. word production --- the production of word in humanbeings
    In this case, they are describing how the brain works when someone is creating/producing/retrieving a word and they are studying how errors might be caused in aphasia .
    Any one could help me to clear it up?

Thank your help.
    bepleased

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >