...wait for one more week, when the teacher will be back

Stieizc

Chinese
This is a question in a multiple choices test paper:
1A. You will have to wait for one more week, when the teacher will be back from the trip.
I think "will be back" is a little strange here, and I want to change it into:
1B. You will have to wait for one more week, when the teacher is back from the trip.

And I wonder if these sentences make sense:
2A. You will have to wait for one more week, before the teacher will be back from the trip.
2B. You will have to wait for one more week, before the teacher is back from the trip.

3A. You will have to wait for one more week, until the teacher will be back from the trip.
3B. You will have to wait for one more week, until the teacher is back from the trip.

• wandle

English - British
    In No. 1, 'when' is equivalent to 'by which time', so A is correct:
    1A. You will have to wait for one more week, when the teacher will be back from the trip. :tick:

In No. 2, to make 'before' work correctly, rephrasing is needed:
    2C. It will be another week before the teacher is back from the trip. :tick:

In No. 3, as in No. 2, it is idiomatic and normal to use the present tense in reference to the future:
    3B. You will have to wait for one more week, until the teacher is back from the trip. :tick:

Some people will say 3A is wrong, but it cannot strictly be incorrect to use the future tense in reference to the future.
    Nevertheless, 3B is the usual mode of expression.

< Previous | Next >