Wait for the classroom to be full

Puppiesarecute

Vietnamese
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering about how to, in one phrase, say, 'Waiting for the classroom to be full'. I was talking with someone who was an international student just like me. So the full conversation was:
Me: Hey! How are you doing?
Him: I'm in my classroom. But we are waiting for the classroom 'to be full'.
I can tell right away it's not natural to say that. However, I've come up with alternatives that can be used in that situation:
'
We will start as soon as the remaining students come'
'We are waiting for the remaining students to come'
'We are just waiting for 'everyone' to come' (everyone in this case includes 'the people who are already present in the classroom' + 'people who will later come to the classroom'
I feel that my expressions are still long. Are there any brief English expressions/ phrases that I can use in this case?

Thank you

• heypresto

English - England
    There are no doubt other ways to say it, but two sentences spring immediately to mind:

We are waiting for the class to fill up.

We are waiting for the others/everybody else to turn up.

Puppiesarecute

Vietnamese
    There are no doubt other ways to say it, but two sentences spring immediately to mind:

We are waiting for the class to fill up.

We are waiting for the others/everybody else to turn up.
    Hi, heypresto
    Thanks for your reply. Could I ask you to clarify?

For your first sentence, would it be ‘to be filled up’ or it is fine to use active voice in this case?

With regards to the second sentence, if I say ‘everybody’, does ‘everybody’ in this case refers to merely ‘other people’ or ‘people who are already there + other people who haven’t not turned up’.

Many thanks

heypresto

English - England
    'To fill up' is correct. If you say 'to be filled up' in implies that somebody will fill the class up with people.

You could say 'everybody' in the second sentence: We are waiting for everybody to turn up. The listener can infer that some people (you and the others implied by 'we') have already turned up, and so will realise that you mean the others.

But 'the others' and 'everybody else' makes this clearer.

< Previous | Next >