waiting for reinforcement

< Previous | Next >

Yaroslava

Russian
I've got a question. For instance I'm taking Spanish classes in some group of people and one guy is going to join us. Can I say like this: "We're waiting for reinforcement" in an informal way?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    In that case, no. If anything, "We're waiting for reinforcements" would be taken to mean that you want more women to join, so that the man will be more heavily outnumbered.

thegreathoo

Srpski
    You should be careful with metaphors. This one in particular implies that the group is weak and needs reinforcement. It also may imply that you are in a war zone and waiting for military reinforcement. Those are not good images. I would not mind the joke, but someone else may.

Linkway

British English
    "reinforcement" means "strengthening". eg Military reinforcements, steel reinforcement in concrete, sound reinforcement, etc.

So if the extra person is a tutor with additional skills or is needed to improve the staff:student ratio, I suppose you could use "We are waiting for reinforcements".

Generally, I think that using "reinforcements" just to mean "other people who are going to join a group" would be inappropriate.

If the intention is to be humorous or facetious or sarcastic, of course the extra person might be referred to as a reinforcement, invader, refugee, or whatever.

Edit: I agree with Florentia52.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >