Waive? Waiver?

Fallingstar2009

Chinese
1. Hospice care is waived by Medicare.

2. Some states have Medicaid waiver programs that pay for community-based services, including room, board, and services provided in assisted living communities, as well as other community-based care management programs.

Hi everyone,

I am so confusing about waived and waiver program.
The Waived in the first sentence, does it mean that the hospice care is free and Medicare will afford the expense of hospice, and the individual doesn't need to pay by his/herself?
The Waiver in the second sentence, does it mean that the Medicaid has programs about Waiver, and these waiver programs can pay for the services, such as care, room and food etc. and individuals don't need to pay by themselves. Am I right? pls correct and help me . thanks in advance.

• This is somewhat confusing,

merriam webster, for 'waive' says

4 a : to relinquish voluntarily (as a legal right) <waive a jury trial>
    b : to refrain from pressing or enforcing (as a claim or rule) :
    forgo <waive the fee>
    The issue is, who is forgoing or giving up the fee?

Medicaid DOES cover hospice fees, in specified cases.

http://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid-chip-program-information/by-topics/benefits/hospice-benefits.html

So the hospice waives or forgoes {refrains from} charging the patient and Medicaid covers it. Another way of putting it is that where you have coverage, fees are waived for you. You don't pay because the local entity is going to get its fee from Medicaid.

For sentence 2., the ideas is the same. The assisted living program forgoes {refrains from collecting} their fees (i.e. collecting them from the patient) and the federal gov't program steps in (assuming the state has an arrangement with the federal gov't).

----
    1. Hospice care is waived by Medicare.

2. Some states have Medicaid waiver programs that pay for community-based services, including room, board, and services provided in assisted living communities, as well as other community-based care management programs.

Hi everyone,

I am so confusing about waived and waiver program.
    The Waived in the first sentence, does it mean that the hospice care is free and Medicare will afford the expense of hospice, and the individual doesn't need to pay by his/herself?
    The Waiver in the second sentence, does it mean that the Medicaid has programs about Waiver, and these waiver programs can pay for the services, such as care, room and food etc. and individuals don't need to pay by themselves. Am I right? pls correct and help me . thanks in advance.

Last edited:
    It's an odd usage, extending the core usage. Here is an example from the 'net. Bureaucrats' invention.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/109734084/Module-1-Basic-Concepts-in-Geriatric-Pharmacotherapy-2012#scribd

Module 1 Basic Concepts in Geriatric Pharmacotherapy 2012

01.03.07 Hospice [...]

Medicare waived. A hospice provides services for the terminally ill or those with presumably lessthan six months to live. The palliative-based care emphasizes pain control andcomfort measures only. The actual hospice program may be provided throughout other care settings such as home, continuous care retirement communities or long term care facilities. Hospice care is waived by Medicare
    "X [type of care] is waived by medicare" means "local entities' fees for X are waived (foregone, as being charged to the person) because of Medicare coverage (which pays those fees)"!

A better way to put it might be this. To the public, gov't health people say, "Your fees for hospice care are waived" and they add, "Medicare will take care of them." ==> "Hospice care is waived by Medicare"

Note: Medicare and Medicaid are somewhat similar in covering [securing waiver of local fees] some types of hospice care.

Last edited:

Fallingstar2009

Chinese
    Bennymix, these sentences really drive me crazy. Thank you for your effort and finding a lot of backgrounds to help me understand these words.
    The links that you gave me can't be opened. I don't know why gov. forbid me to open these website. Anyway, I understand waive and waiver from you quotations.

"Medicare waived. A hospice provides services for the terminally ill or those with presumably lessthan six months to live. The palliative-based care emphasizes pain control andcomfort measures only. The actual hospice program may be provided throughout other care settings such as home, continuous care retirement communities or long term care facilities. Hospice care is waived by Medicare"
    the above you quotated are exactly the same with the material that I am reading, which is called Module 1: Basic Concepts in Geriatric Pharmacy. BTW, I wonder that "Module 1 Basic Concepts in Geriatric Pharmacotherapy 2012" can be downloaded from which website? Thanks again.

Fallingstar2009

Chinese
    I read from Module 1: Basic Concepts in Geriatric Pharmacy. Probably Medicare or Medicaid differ vary from state to state. I am not familiar with American regulatory about health care. That's why I come here to looking for native speaker's help.

Here it is not just language, but health bureaucracy. Further the use of 'waive' is odd, unless you realize that
    the essential meaning is. "Your (local) hospice-care fees are waived because of Medicare/caid (federal program).

Somehow this has gotten condensed, like a bad headline, into "Hospice care is waived by Medicare."
    {"Man is killed when wing breaks off."}

Here are a couple more examples from the 'net, where 'waived' mean as it does in the OP.

Medicaid eligibility - Boynton Beach
    66.7.220.24/page/medicaid-planning-eligibility-information
    The home equity policy may be waived by Medicaid when denial of long-term care eligibility would result in demonstrated hardship to the individual ...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-91950318.html

A registered nurse for Senior Services assigned to the company's home
    program, waived by Medicaid that provides in-home care for seniors and
    disabled children, Baker felt compelled to do something about her bulging
    saddle bags and larger-than-normal African-American posterior. …

< Previous | Next >