waiver my chance [= waive?]

nouus

French - Belgium
Hello,

could someone tell me what does waiver my chance mean? I saw it in a song of Incubus: Drive. Does it mean not to take a chance to do sth?

Thanks in advance

• Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    I don't know about the song, but to waiver something means to give up your right to it. So it seems to me that the singer is saying "I don't want the chance you're offering me".

emma42

British English
    Hello all.

In fact, "waiver" is a noun.

The verb is "to waive".

It is an old-fashioned, literary kind of word, often found in legal contexts.

"He waived his right to any further say in the running of the business, and resigned from the board".

Myridon

English - US
    The few lyric sites I checked do say "waiver", however lyric sites are based on user contributiones which sometimes have mistakes. They also copy from one another, so if one has a mistake, you'll find the same mistake on others.
    I listened to the song and it could be "waiver" but it could also be "wait for" which makes a lot more sense.

Ceremoniar

USA
    American English
    Hello all.

In fact, "waiver" is a noun.

The verb is "to waive".

It is an old-fashioned, literary kind of word, often found in legal contexts.

"He waived his right to any further say in the running of the business, and resigned from the board".
    Waive is an old-fashioned word? :confused:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It seems odd to discuss the meaning of this word without reference to the specific context, these lines:
    So if I decide to waiver my chance to be one of the hive
    Will I choose water over wine and hold my own and drive?
    It does seem to be a song about driving while sober, which in turn is a metaphor for the singer's taking control of his life rather than letting the fear of uncertainty control him.

Thus, I would say that waiver should be the verb form waive, meaning 'to give up'. Whether the mistake was made by the singer or the people who transcribed the lyrics is hard to know. Waiver/waive are not common words, and someone unfamiliar with them might easily mistake their use.

Source: Incubus ~ "Drive" lyrics on sing365.com.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >