Waiver of liability and hold harmless

Icela

Spanish-English Mex/ US
WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS FOR COMMUNICABLE DISEASES INCLUDING COVID-19

MY attempt to translate please any suggestions. It's for a school sports waiver due to Covid. It's a form title and this is my attempt
"RENUNCIA DE RESPONSABILIDAD Y EXENCIÓN DE RESPONSABILIDAD POR ENFERMEDADES CONTAGIOSAS, INCLUYENDO COVID -19"

• Icela

Spanish-English Mex/ US
    It's a title for a form. It'srelated to sports and Covid waiver.

Joe Esquire

Spanish Spain- English US
    Unfortunately, titles of forms do not always properly convey a legal concept, specially if they are grammatically unsound; making the attempted translation awkward.

”Waiver of liability” is a gramatical misnomer. What is being waived, by the person signing, is the right to claim against the other party. Liability is literally not being waived by anyone. The proper term is a Release, where one party releases another.

Similarly, in opposition to Waiver, “Hold Harmless” is not a noun as used in the phrase. If you agree to hold (verb) someone harmless, it means that you are assuming the risk of your damages without recourse to the party “held harmless”.

I would simply call it: “Exoneración de Responsabilidad y Renuncia.” The body of the text should provide the additional details.

Regards,

je

Last edited:

Icela

Spanish-English Mex/ US
    Thank you for the help I do not know legal terms I used a legal dictionary but this is information you give is greatly appreciated. Thank you- Joe

RicardoElAbogado

American English
    Unfortunately, titles of forms do not always properly convey a legal concept, specially if they are grammatically unsound; making the attempted translation awkward.

”Waiver of liability” is a gramatical misnomer. What is being waived, by the person signing, is the right to claim against the other party. Liability is literally not being waived by anyone. The proper term is a Release, where one party releases another.

Similarly, in opposition to Waiver, “Hold Harmless” is not a noun as used in the phrase. If you agree to hold (verb) someone harmless, it means that you are assuming the risk of your damages without recourse to the party “held harmless”.

I would simply call it: “Exoneración de Responsabilidad y Renuncia.” The body of the text should provide the additional details.

Regards,

je
    Excellent response.