Wake up and smell the coffee

Pascale

Française, I live in London
Bonsoir,

Est-ce que quelqu'un a une idée géniale pour traduire 'Wake up and smell the coffee'?

T'would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Pascale

yeaaaah... That takes care of 'wake up'... now, what about 'and smell the coffee'?

mm ?

Iznogoud

French - Canada
    I think "Réveille-toi!" is a pretty accurate translation of the whole English expression.

Just as in English you could very well just say "Wake up!" in a figurative sense and it would mean the same thing as "wake up and smell the coffee".

Canard

English, USA
    Stop and smell the roses = Take the time to enjoy things or a situation.
    Wake up and smell the coffee = Stop being unrealistic and accept the reality of things.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Wake up and smell the coffee was an advertising campaign by Nescafé many years ago. Your spouse makes a pot of Nescafé coffee and it wakes you up it smells so good.

A famous advice columnist in the US, Ann Landers, took the advertising expression and adapted it to mean something different--get a grasp on reality. "Wake up and smell the coffee--your husband is cheating on you and you aren't doing anything about it."

My try: Il faut regarder la réalité en face

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    My effort :

Ouvre-toi un peu les yeux!
    Redescend sur terre!
    Cesse de faire l'autruche!
    Rend-toi à l'évidence!

Pascale

Thank you very much Wildan1 for the explanation. How interesting that the english language is ever so happy to invent, absorb and adapt...Mm.

And brilliant, Nicomon!
    Je crois qu'avec mon context, je vais choisir "Cesse de faire l'autruche".

Merci beaucoup à tous, where would I be without you?!

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    I think that the translation Iznogoud gave back in 2007 wasn't bad at all.
    Hello Cath :)

I agree. Often, less is more. À la québécoise (written as it sounds) : Eille! Réveille!

But then, better late than never... I take this opportunity to correct my misspelled verbs. :eek:

- Redescends sur terre!
    - Rends-toi à l'évidence!

< Previous | Next >