wake up and smell the roses

lightmanz

English, New Zealand
Bonjour,

In english we have a saying, that "one must wake up and smell the roses" to suggest getting 'real' about a problem. I have literally translated to "On doit se réveiller et sentir les roses". Any suggestions on a more appropriate translation

• FAC13

English, UK
    In english we have a saying, that "one must wake up and smell the roses"
    But do we? I believe there are two expressions "to stop and smell the roses" and "to wake up and smell the coffee" - and it is the second of these which matches the definition you have given. The other is quite different, meaning basically to take time to enjoy the simple pleasures of life.

lightmanz

English, New Zealand
    In NZ we use the phrase "wake up and smell the roses" to mean that someone needs to get realistic about a problem and stop avoiding the problem. ie. stop burying your head in the sand

DazednConfused

england, english
    I would have to agree with FAC13. To say "wake up and smell the roses" in England would sound very confused.

Missrapunzel

French (France)
    Dans le sens donné par lightmanz, je suggère "prendre le taureau par les cornes"
    I apologize, kervarker, but prendre le taureau par les cornes doesn't convey precisely the same meaning. It means to take the appropriate and/or radical actions to solve a problem, it doesn't mean to see the reality of the situation.
    I'd suggest something like "voir les choses en face", "voir la vérité en face", "arrêter de se voiler la face".

< Previous | Next >