Walk "out of the door" or "out the door" ? Look "out of the window" or "out the window"?

Zhi

Chinese
Dear everyone,
In the following instances, would you say "out of the door" or "out the door"?

hurried out (of) the door
pushed him out (of) the door
gathering my strength to get out (of) the door
hesitating with one foot out (of) the door
he was out (of) the door before anyone else was out of their seat.

Also in:
jump out (of) the window.
look out (of) the window.

Thanks!

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    The correct expression is "out of the door". However in informal speech (I think this is more common in AmE), the "of" might be omitted.

gathering my strength to get out (of) the door

This sound odd, with or without the "of".

he was out (of) the door before anyone else was out of their seat.

I'd say "He was out through the door..."

Last edited:

dojibear

US English
    I speak AE, and as Barque suggests, I would probably omit "of" in all these phrases..

Note that "door" means a physical wooden object. In all the phrases above, "door" means "doorway", which is the door-sized opening we move through. That second meaning of door ("a doorway") is in the dictionary, but which meaning "door" has depends on the sentence it is in.

The same is true with "window". It can mean either an opening in a wall (that you can look out or jump out) or the physical object (wood and glass) that fills that opening when it is "closed".

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Here are previous discussions:

There is also a useful note under the entry for out.
    (It's at the very bottom of the definition from Collins Concise English Dictionary:

USAGE
    The use of out as a preposition, though common in American English, is regarded as incorrect in British English: he climbed out of (not out) a window; he went out through the door

Last edited:

Zhi

Chinese
    Thanks Cagey, you're amazing! I just learned from you how to use quote marks to search!