walked the churchyard at midnight with the full moon

twinklestar

Chinese
A girl can't live a lone, Mary, without she goes queer in the head, or comes to evil. It's either one or the the other. Have you forgotten poor Sue, who walked the churchyard at midnight with the full moon, and called upon the lover she had never had?
Source: Jamaica Inn

I had a vague impression that in English speaking world, full moon is associated with a disorder of mental state. Some people become looney when there is a full moon.

I am not sure. Am I right?

Thank you!

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Setting aside the idea that the moon itself does have an effect on mental states :rolleyes:, it's easy to see how a neurotic person might be unable to sleep, and therefore more distressed, when the sky is bright.

twinklestar

Chinese
    Setting aside the idea that the moon itself does have an effect on mental states :rolleyes:, it's easy to see how a neurotic person might be unable to sleep, and therefore more distressed, when the sky is bright.
    I guess I would sleep better in the night with full-moon, and feel more secured, but mostly I slept very well no matter what the moon looks like.

I think most of Chinese enjoy full moon, therefore we have a moon festival. :)

< Previous | Next >