Walking with my feet ten feet off of Beale

macaronesio

spain (spanish)
Hi there! I'd like to know about the expression "Walking with my feet ten feet off of Beale". It comes from a song in the following context "Then I'm walking in Memphis,Walking with my feet ten feet off of Beale,Walking in Memphis,But do I really feel the way I feel"
Thanks for your help

• A.Lamb

Beale is the name of a famous street in downtown Memphis, Tennessee that is famous for its live music and restaurants, particularly blues music.

The phrase could be literally taken to mean he's walking ten feet away from that street, but in the context I think he's taking the expression "walking on air", which is used to express extreme delight or happiness, and modifying it to fit in with the city of Memphis.

jinxnao

turkey turkish
    what does "of " here do ? I couldnt understand how do you decide that he is walking ten feet away Beale? I think of here is meaningless...Please explain to me..

sandpiperlily

I've always understood the song as meaning that he is walking with his feet 10 feet above Beale St -- in other words, he's walking 10 feet up in the air because he's so happy to be in Memphis, as A.Lamb explains. (Totally understandable, as I'm a proud Memphian myself!). Think of "off of" together as meaning "above."

Last edited: