Walton's Mountain

anglicana

France
A police pathologist makes a comment over a brutally killed man: "Strikes me, we've all come a along way from Walton's Moiuntain."
An officer: "So who does something like that?"

??? What does it mean? It's a reference to a movie, I think, but I have no idea what the message is :(

• pseudoego

canada english
    Walton's Mountain was a rural location which was the setting for the long-running television series "The Waltons."

The mountain was named after the patriarch of the clan...and the stories were very nostalgic about a time in America when things were simpler and slower, and family values were prized....along with honesty and morality.

Each show ended at night, with all of the children (there were many) and the parents calling out to each other :"Good night. Ma" "Good night, Pa"... The protagonist of the show was the eldest son (John) who wanted to leave the rural area and become a writer. There would always be a voice at the end saying "Good night, John-boy."

To say "We have come along way from Walton's Mountain." would imply that people have lost their innocence and their morality....which would allow someone to commit such a brutal crime....such things just did *not* happen up around Walton's Mountain....and everybody has become "street-wise" to some degree. Wiser, but sadder.

A police pathologist makes a comment over a brutally killed man: "Strikes me, we've all come a along way from Walton's Moiuntain."
    An officer: "So who does something like that?"

??? What does it mean? It's a reference to a movie, I think, but I have no idea what the message is :(
    Hello anglicana,

"The Waltons" is a well-known TV series, made in the USA. Walton's Mountain is the fictional home of the happy-go-lucky Walton family, who live an idyllic life of innocence.

The brutal killing of the man is in stark contrast to the peaceful life of the Walton family. This is why the pathologist says these words. Far removed from the Waltons' experiences.

LRV

< Previous | Next >