Wane-Wax

< Previous | Next >

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
I've learnt that "wane" can be used in the figurative sense meaning "decrease in intensity" Eg, "Her interest in him waned as time passed" (?) Is "wax" used similarly to mean the opposite?
:confused:

• Paul Hand

UK English
    Not in everyday language.

Wax and wane really applies to the phases of the moon, the first half being waxing and the second waning.

Perrin

New Zealand / English
    I use the word 'wane' from time to time, normally in a sentence such as 'My interest in this is waning.' Also you might hear (if you're listening to me) the expression 'to wax lyrical', which means to talk enthusiastically about, as in, 'he was waxing lyrical about his new car, but nobody was interested'.

But other than that, I guess I'd have to agree the words are more literary in nature.

Sharon

United States, English
    In America, the expression is usually "to wax eloquent." (on a subject.)
    I like the phrase, but it probably is not commonly used.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Sharon said:
    In America, the expression is usually "to wax eloquent." (on a subject.)
    I like the phrase, but it probably is not commonly used.

Could you be more precise with that expression! It still hasn't sunk in! :D

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Artrella said:
    Could you be more precise with that expression! It still hasn't sunk in! :D
    Perhaps you need to get the wax out of your ears, Doña Art. [I'm pulling your leg -tomando el pelo]

He was perfectly precise. You can wax a car, yet it shall not shine so bright as an estrella. You can wax eloquent [speak eloquently].

Clear?

C.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    cuchufléte said:
    Perhaps you need to get the wax out of your ears, Doña Art. [I'm pulling your leg -tomando el pelo]

He was perfectly precise. You can wax a car, yet it shall not shine so bright as an estrella. You can wax eloquent [speak eloquently].

Clear?

C.
    Thank you for translating "I'm pulling your leg" At first sight I thought I will somehow become the spitting image of Túpac Amaru. (Just kidding, Cu!) YOU say he was perfectly precise. But what if I didn't understand?? Stop being that DIDACTIC you elder boy!!! And leave Garry alone,I'm sure he can defend himself!!!
    Can't you Garry??? I'm 39 and proud of it!!! I'm so brave that I can tell everybody without becoming mad or whatever( this "whatever" is included here because I didn't know what I want to mean, but I'm sure you'll understand). But stop calling me DOÑA, it makes me feel OLD!!!! Just call me Art or whatever but DOÑA or SRA. Got it??????!!!!! :mad:

< Previous | Next >