Wanna vs Wansta

Belchior

Portuguese - Brazil
Hey guys,

An English teacher taught me that the contraction of "wants to" is "wansta", I think that I've never heard a native English speaker using "wansta", though.

Is it natural to say "He wansta go home"?

I thought that "wanna" would be fine for all the pronouns.

Thank you in advance.

• elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    “wanna” / “want to” may be used in the third person singular in some dialects, but for most native speakers it’s wrong, and “wansta” / “wants to” is the only valid option.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    You have heard 'wansta' many, many times, but you have never seen it written, and nor have I. You have heard it because the person is saying 'wants to'. That's how it's pronounced: the vowel of 'to' is weak. Also, the first /t/ is hard to hear: usually there's no clear difference between /ns/ and /nts/.

To sum up: 'wansta' (never written) and 'wants to' are the same thing. They are the two words 'wants to' in the way everyone normally says them.

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    "Wanna" is not a contraction. It is writing the way some people pronounce "want to" or "want a" in speech.
    But it doesn't work for 3d person singular. "He wanna go" means "He want to go", which is wrong.

In very recent years (the last 5 years), I have seen "wanna" written by foreign students learning English.
    It seems like some teachers teach "wanna" as if it was a real word.