want to attend / intend to go

< Previous | Next >

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
1) " I want to attend to college" (Here I want to say like I want to study in college)

2) "I intend to go to college"

• GenJen54

USA - English
    Yes, both of these are correct. :thumbsup:

"I want to attend college" means it is your wish/desire to go to college and further your education.

"I intend to go to college" is stronger. It implies that you will work hard and do everything possible to ensure that you go to college and fulfill your wish.

Are you wanting to use these sentences in spoken English, or do you want to put them in a letter?

By the way, Roniy, great job on your post! You have capitalized all of the correct words and your grammar is perfect. :thumbsup: :)

roniy

GenJen54 said:
    Yes, both of these are correct. :thumbsup:

"I want to attend college" means it is your wish/desire to go to college and further your education.

"I intend to go to college" is stronger. It implies that you will work hard and do everything possible to ensure that you go to college and fulfill your wish.

Are you wanting to use these sentences in spoken English, or do you want to put them in a letter?

By the way, Roniy, great job on your post! You have capitalized all of the correct words and your grammar is perfect. :thumbsup: :)
    Thank you for the help and for the compliments :D . And I just saw these sentences and I know that they are formal and more for letters ,aren't they?

Thank you.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    GenJen54 said:
    Either there was a typo, or you just missed it, but

"to attend to college" is incorrect.

It should be "to attend college."

"I intend to go to college" can be reworded as "I plan to go to college" or "I plan on going to college."

elroy

Imperfect mod
    roniy said:
    Thank you for the help and for the compliments :D . And I just saw these sentences and I know that they are formal and more for letters ,aren't they?

Thank you.
    "I want to" is not too formal. "I intend to" is formal.

A more formal version of "I want to" is "I would like to." You could also say "I am interested in." Here are some ideas:

I would like to attend college.
    I am interested in attending college.

I intend to pursue a college education.
    I intend to continue my studies by attending college.

GenJen54

USA - English
    Originally posted by Elroy
    Either there was a typo, or you just missed it, but to attend to college" is incorrect.
    :eek: Ooops! Must have missed that second "to." Thank you for pointing that out.

Sorry Roniy, as Elroy pointed out to me, your grammar was almost perfect. In either case, you are making strides. Keep up the good work!

elroy

Imperfect mod
    GenJen54 said:
    :eek: Ooops! Must have missed that second "to." Thank you for pointing that out.

Sorry Roniy, as Elroy pointed out to me, your grammar was almost perfect. In either case, you are making strides. Keep up the good work!
    I agree. :thumbsup:

You have improved significantly since joining us.

roniy

:) :) Thank you very much for everything.
    Without you all here I wouldn't have improved my English even a little bit:)

< Previous | Next >