"want", "won't", "wasn't", "weren't" and "wont"

Max.89

Italy
I get confused when I hear won't because often I mix it up with want that has another meaning.
Where can I hear the correct pronunciation?
What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

• Jim 89

Sydney, Australia. English
    "want" and "won't" are pronounced differently. "won't" has the "oh" sound.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I know another Italian who has trouble with those two words, best thing to do is get a native English speaker on MSN (you need a mic) .. and then get him/her to say "Want" 5 times, and then "Won't" and then you try it a few times back, and then tell him to say 5 words and mix them up, and you write the order down, and you can hear it said many different ways (which is much better than one recording listened to over and over again)

It really helped him, and I would certainly recommend doing that with an English/American/Ozzy/Kiwi etc?

Jode

English. The Caribbean
    How do you pronounce these words? For me, they're all homophones, pronounced to rhyme with "hunt".

mplsray

?? "won't" is pronounced like " blown"!!? I am so surprised! for me it's like blONd /wON't...
    Won't is pronounced with a "long o," like don't. It was originally a contraction for woll not, which was, as The Century Dictionary puts it in its entry for woll, "An obsolete or dialectal form of will1." It gives no pronunciation for it, however, presumably because its editors are not certain how the word was pronounced.

Iona

English England
    What do others say ? For me the vowel sound in wasn't is the same as in top in British English - maybe this depends on its position in the sentence...?

Iona

English England
    Thanks for the feedback mjscott .It must be a question of origin I think - I have just checked in the Daniel Jones pronouncing dictionary (Brit/English) which gives my pronunciation .. I dare say that within British English there are variants.

Max.89

Italy
    I think to understand better the won't pronunciation now.

I read in another thread that the sound of won't is like woe+nt.

Can someone confirm?

mplsray

Thanks for the feedback mjscott .It must be a question of origin I think - I have just checked in the Daniel Jones pronouncing dictionary (Brit/English) which gives my pronunciation .. I dare say that within British English there are variants.
    In American English there are two pronunciations, the one already mentioned which rhymes with fuzz, which is the one I use, and the pronunciation with the vowel in cot.

Fox30News

English
    In American English there are two pronunciations, the one already mentioned which rhymes with fuzz, which is the one I use, and the pronunciation with the vowel in cot.
    You pronounce "won't" to rhyme with "fuzz"? Hence, would you pronounce "won't" as "wuzz"? That's certainly odd. I say "won't" as "woant", that is to rhyme with "don't"

mplsray

You pronounce "won't" to rhyme with "fuzz"? Hence, would you pronounce "won't" as "wuzz"? That's certainly odd. I say "won't" as "woant", that is to rhyme with "don't"

You appear to have missed the post where I addressed the pronunciation of won't, saying "Won't is pronounced with a 'long o,' like don't."

What I was addressing in the post you quoted was the pronunciation of was, which is relevant to the pronunciation of wasn't, the subject being discussed by Iona in the message to which I was replying.

It would have been better if instead of referring to the pronunciation of was I had simply referred to the pronunciation given for wasn't in Merriam-Webster's Collegiate: Interestingly, it has three pronunciations of that word, two with the vowels I mentioned and a third, which I present here with a substitution for that dictionary's phonetic symbols: "dial also WUH-t(uh)n(t)."

< Previous | Next >