Want you pass this or not?

Kamaradmesic

Czech
Dear all,

I would like to ask what are the possible meanings of this sentence in the following context.

I had a private discussion with my work placement supervisor about our nationally approved framework. I was required to discuss this as one of my school tasks - after undertaking that discussion, I had to have my supervisor to sign a confirming "third part report".

An argument (not related to the discussed topic) arised during the discussion. Then she asked me, 'Want you pass this or not?'

My question is - did she mean it as a threat? Sth like, 'If you want to argue with me (I was actually just defending myself), I will not sign your document.'
Or could it also mean sth like, 'If we will keep arguing, we will never finish this discussion - and so that I will never get to signing your document.'

Many thanks,

• lingobingo

English - England
    That’s not standard English. The normal interrogative form is “Do you want to pass this or not?”. And yes, it was no doubt meant angrily, meaning something like “do you want to sort this out – or do you just want to argue about it?”.

I don’t understand the significance of “pass”?

Kamaradmesic

Czech
    That’s not standard English.
    Oh, I think now that they might say "Wanna pass this or not?" instead of "Want you pass this or not?"
    I know, that's not standard English either.

I don’t understand the significance of “pass”?
    Yes, that's my wonder as well. Did she mean: 'Wanna pass this course/unit or not?' or just sth like 'Do you want to move forward with the discussion (that we need to undertake) or not?'

Last edited:

Chasint

English - England
    My question is - did she mean it as a threat? ...
    Or could it also mean sth like, 'If we will keep arguing, we will never finish this discussion ...

It could mean either of those things. Without hearing the rest of the conversation and without knowing the personality of the speaker, we cannot say.