warm and fuzzy

• PC_Music

France: French/English/Spanish
    Maybe "Chaud et duveteux".

"Fuzzy" looks like something with velvet touch? I am right?

The french translation of "Fuzzy" is missing in the dictionary.

Cheers :)

mariposas

France
    thank u for the answer but I'd like to get a translation of "to be warm and fuzzy" in French (it's an expression). I think I put it the wrong way.

PC_Music

France: French/English/Spanish
    What is the english environment of "to be warm and fuzzy"? Without the body text, it is hard to translate.

jayseabea

u.k. English
    " Warm and fuzzy" is like being in front of the fire on a winters night with a glass or two of wine in you and feeling comfortable and a bit sleepy... :rolleyes:

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Please provide a complete sentence and a context. I personally can’t think of a French expression which means the same thing, and the native French speakers will need a bit more help understanding how it is used in English.

Soleil_Couchant

English
    Warm and fuzzy means several things, I guess.

1) Having warm and fuzzy feelings (aka "the warm fuzzies") ...is when you feel good and happy inside. Maybe someone hugged you or complimented you on your shirt. That pleased, happy, warm feeling you get inside is feeling "all warm and fuzzy inside."

2) Someone can be "warm and fuzzy" in personality or in their behavior on a case-by-case basis..generally a nice and kind person (who is likely to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside), or someone acting nice and kind and affectionate. So, if someone is "warm and fuzzy" they're usually a kind, open person, positive person. (This can be changing, too. I.e., one day I might be all warm and fuzzy to other people because I'm in a good mood myself, but then tomorrow I'm back to being my usual reserved and closed off self ;) )

3) I suppose "something" can be warm and fuzzy, too. Like an action, attitude, movie or a song...or concert...but that's more obscure. The general idea is, again, that it is something or someone that gives you those warm and fuzzy feelings inside.

So overall, it's more psychological/emotional than physical. Things that are tangibly warm and things that are tangibly fuzzy feel good to the senses, physically... so the phrase is using that idea to figuratively represent how you feel emotionally.

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    This is an old thread from September 2004.
    I'm afraid that nearly 14 years down the road... chances that the OP will come back online to provide a sentence are slim to none. :(

So... you may want to check this other thread that mollisha has also reanimated. Or this other one : It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

In a context where someone complimentend me, I might say : ça me fait un petit velours.
    I think a teddy bear can be described as warm and fuzzy : tout doux, tout chaud / réconfortant.

The super bowl (2014) "puppy love" commercial is something that makes me feel "warm and fuzzy".
    Actually, all dogs and especially cute puppies make me feel that way. I believe in zootherapy.

Je me sens toute attendrie. / Ça me rend toute chose. / Ça me réchauffe le cœur (et l'âme). :)

budweiser-clydesdales-super-bowl-commercial-november-2014.png

Last edited:

Soleil_Couchant

English
    I thought of y'all today, and the countless threads on warm fuzzy. In one of my classes we watched a speech by an American (speaking English), and there were French subtitles (because everyone in the classes besides me speaks French ;) ). At one point, the woman said "warm, fuzzy" as an adjective. The French subtitles read "jolie, floue"...I was like uh...Welp, that's how one person translated it, anyway. It seems too "transliteral" to me...and "fuzzy" doesn't mean "floue" when we say warm fuzzy...we mean it as in the texture, like a fuzzy peach...not as in "blurry" as in blurry vision/lines/fuzzy thinking. So I would advise against that translation, personally!

Soleil_Couchant

English
    They must have done it in a hurry. And didn't thoroughly research it like the people who visit these forums do (as in, consulting native speakers and other translators for help on difficult-to-translate phrases or turns of speech, etc)!