warmly welcome Kris

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

At the end of this year, I will host a gathering among my students, then I'll invite my friend Kris, I wonder if I "Let's warmly welcome Kris", the bold is used okay when I introduce Kris to all of my students. Of course, students and teacher will first introduce themselves.

Thanks a lot

• Erebos12345

Canadian English
    Hi

I think I would expect ...warm welcome... if you were introducing an important speaker to an audience. Seems too formal for introducing someone at a gathering. Kris won't be expected to give a speech, will he?

Maybe it's because I have no class :rolleyes:, but I'd simply say Hey everyone, this is Kris. He's..../We know each other from...

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Kris won't be expected to give a speech, will he?
    Hi, Erebos, thanks a lot. Hmm, he might be give a short speech. Haha. That is a pretty formal occasion, I think. Because we might do that in a square and there are many passers-by. :)

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Hi

I think I would expect ...warm welcome... if you were introducing an important speaker to an audience. Seems too formal for introducing someone at a gathering. Kris won't be expected to give a speech, will he?

Maybe it's because I have no class :rolleyes:, but I'd simply say Hey everyone, this is Kris. He's..../We know each other from...
    I’m for ‘warm welcome’ if we have to be formal, but add me to the classless. :D

Erebos12345

Canadian English
    Yeah...I think I understand the reasoning now. If you're inviting your audience to give Kris a warm welcome, I think your audience is then expected to clap for him. (And then, he gives a speech...or at the very least he does a magic trick.) ;)

Warm welcome implies applause in this situation.

Do you expect your group of friends to applaud for Kris when you introduce him to them? :)

< Previous | Next >