warranty <on><for>

< Previous | Next >

Angli

Hebrew
Which preposition would be correct and why ?

"The warranty on/for the maintenance of the machine will be up to the day the machine was transferred back to the company."

• Uncle Jack

British English
    I still don't understand how you could have a warranty on/for maintenance. Under what circumstances would a payment be made or a repair or replacement be carried out under warranty?

Angli

Hebrew
    I still don't understand how you could have a warranty on/for maintenance. Under what circumstances would a payment be made or a repair or replacement be carried out under warranty?
    Can I at least say the warranty in on the machine (product) ?

"The warranty on the machine will be up to the day the machine was transferred back to the company."

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Warranty on" followed by the product or device is fine.

You have a discrepancy in tense between "will be" and "was", and "be" is not a good choice of verb when the emphasis is on something changing. You should use something like "last" or "continue", or you could reword it and say that the warranty will expire or terminate.

Angli

Hebrew
    "Warranty on" followed by the product or device is fine.

You have a discrepancy in tense between "will be" and "was", and "be" is not a good choice of verb when the emphasis is on something changing. You should use something like "last" or "continue", or you could reword it and say that the warranty will expire or terminate.
    So perhaps I should write :

"The warranty on the machine will last up to the day the machine was (were?) transferred back to the company."

london calling

UK English
    What do you mean by warranty on maintenance? Warranty is usually for defects or failure, and I cannot see how it could apply to maintenance.
    Yes. Maintenance is a clause in the supply contract. The terms and conditions are set out there. We don't talk about a maintenance warranty. Warranty repairs are very common, however.

The warranty on the xxx is valid up to the day the xxx is transferred back to the company.

But why would it be transferred back to the company? Are you talking about some kind of leasing agreement?

< Previous | Next >