warranty reduction program

Zvonda

Czech Republic, Czech
Can somebody explain me the business term above? It is in the headline of an agenda. Does it mean that manufactures are trying to reduce warranty period?

• cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I don't think it's possible to be certain what exactly is meant by this phrase without further context. Do you have access to the section of the document that this title refers to? If so, can you give us the first two or three sentences?

Zvonda

Czech Republic, Czech
    It is actually just in individual points so I do not think it will help much. But it continues -
    Expand AFM Program to include:
    - Cross functional analysis
    :
    - Risk assessment and ROI analysis
    and lots of other incomprehensible business terms and abbreviations.

Categenesis

English
    The title would seem to be the most comprehensible part of the program. :)

Although it's possible to make a guess:

Risk assessment: Who's going to sue us for the reducing our warranty?

ROI: Return on Investment should be good, since we're slashing our service.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Ah, okay. Sorry, I didn't really read your initial post thoroughly, where you said this was a title from an agenda. I'm afraid that in order to be sure what is meant you would have to ask the person who wrote up the agenda or someone that attended the meeting. We can guess all we like, but really it's impossible for us to tell you exactly what is meant.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Guessing is fun, but pointless - and could be very misleading to Zvonda.
    My advice to Zvonda is to contact the person who sent out the agenda and ask for an explanation. That is an entirely reasonable request.
    If you want to be subtle about it, you could ask what specific topics are to be discussed under this heading.

Categenesis

English
    Guessing is fun, but pointless - and could be very misleading to Zvonda.

At the risk of getting off on the wrong foot -- which I hope I'm not; I enjoy different opinions and adding new viewpoints to the many ways of seeing things -- I'm not guessing.

Cost Reduction Program, Debt Reduction Program, Weight Reduction Program, even Wait Reduction Program... they're all pretty self-explanatory unless the program title is intended to deliberately mislead, which doesn't seem to be the case.

The way she has phrased her question, she's not a new employee about to present before the board and wondering what she should talk about. For her to mention "manufacturers" tells me that she is very much a reader without a lot of personal involvement.

Cheers,
    Don

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There is no suggestion that she is to present before the board, is there?
    Zvonda has asked about this particular phrase, which has been presented as an item on an agenda.

Aren't there at least two very different possible uses of "warranty reduction program"?
    1. A program to reduce the duration of the warranty (as per Categenesis).
    2. A program to reduce the costs of supporting the warranty (as per Ford and others).

It seems to me, perhaps an innocent in this field, that to reduce the duration of a warranty does not require a program, it requires an executive decision.
    To reduce the costs to the supplier of a warranty requires a concerted effort on behalf of the supplier and his sub-contractors - a program.
    The first has a very negative impact on customers.
    The second has a very positive impact on customers.

I have no idea which is correct in Zvonda's world.