was canned

linlon

mandarin
Hi,

Could please tell me if 'canned' can be used instead of 'fired' in the sentence?

"Because he did not show up for work for a week, he was fired/canned."

Thank you very much.

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hi,

Could please tell me if 'canned' can be used instead of 'fired' in the sentence?

"Because he did not show up for work for a week, he was fired/canned."

Thank you very much.
    Yes, according to dictionary.com

11.Slang. to dismiss; fire.

linlon

mandarin
    Thanks nichec for answering.

Is 'is/was canned' as common to use as ''is/was fired"? I mean if 'can' (means 'dismiss') is natural to use this way as in the example?

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Thanks nichec for answering.

Is 'is/was canned' as common to use as ''is/was fired"? I mean if 'can' (means 'dismiss') is natural to use this way as in the example?
    Hmmmmm....I'm more familiar with "He's sacked" or "He's laid off" or even "He's out" myself.....(but that's just me):)

aluza

Spanish (Colombia)
    Is "to get canned" the same of "to be fired"? Does this expression have more meanings? Is it rude or I can use it to talk with people like my boss? Do you hear this expression in daily life? Thanks for your help.

Hi.

I wouldn't say it was rude, but more comical and very colloquial, and usually used to refer to some third party, as in "He/she got canned." and probably something you would see more in print than hear in spoken words. I wouldn't use it, for instance, in asking a boss in confidence if he or she planned to "can" someone, as the expression is for comedy only and would sound not rude, but ridiculous.

With a boss, I would stick with fire someone, or let somebody go, as in "Do you think you will have to fire John...or...Do you think you will have to let John go?

I think it is an older expression which most people still would currently understand upon reading/hearing it.

I don't believe it has any dual meaning, but I did once see it used in a wonderful dual meaning pun:

"I used to work in a tuna fish factory, but I got canned." (Fired from my factory job, put in a can like all tuna is.) :D

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >