was / has been

< Previous | Next >

Deslandes

Portuguese - Portugal
How was your day at school?
How's been your day at school?

Which one is correct?

Is it that in the first sentence we're talking about something that used to happened, but doesn't happen anymore (I've finished school), whereas in the second sentence we're talking about something that is still happening in the present (every week day I go to school).

I have some difficulty understanding the difference between simple past and present perfect.

Thanks.

• owlman5

English-US
    The present perfect troubles many people, Deslandes, and we have many threads related to that tense.

Both your tenses make sense to me, but you should change the wording in your second example: How has your day at school been?

I agree with you that using the present perfect would make sense if you were still at school when somebody asked that question. To make that situation even clearer, speakers might add a phrase like "so far" to the question: How has your day at school been so far? (So far = until now, until this moment).

You are right that "How was your day at school?" implies that you are finished with your day at school.

Last edited:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    How was your day at school?
    How's been your day at school?

Which one is correct?

Is it that in the first sentence we're talking about something that used to happened, but doesn't happen anymore (I've finished school), whereas in the second sentence we're talking about something that is still happening in the present (every week day I go to school).
    Close, but the question is whether or not school is over for that particular day. The first sentence would be used if school has let out for the day, regardless of whether it's the student's last day of school ever or his first day ever. The second would be used during the day (often, as owlman says, with the addition of "so far"), again regardless of whether the student will ever spend another day in school.

< Previous | Next >