"was presumed by" or "was killed by"?

< Previous | Next >

garbage_cnbeta

Chinese
Khashoggi case tests Washington’s attitude to human rights - Global Times

Khashoggi, a critic of the Saudi government, went missing after entering the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul on October 2 and was presumed killed in the consulate by Turkey.

Reading this sentence, my first thought is that "by someone's assumption, K was killed by Turkey." After some search, I know it was Saudi.
Then I think this sentence make reader in confusion. How do you think about it?

• sdgraham

USA English
    It's not the best sentence, but since there's no way Turkey could kill anybody in another country's consulate, it can be worked out.
    It's something a native English speaking editor probably would have caught.
    (The Global Times apparently is Chinese)

sound shift

English - England
    I had to read it a couple of times and apply some logic.
    Why would Turkish operatives kill a Saudi dissident? They wouldn't. So this is talking about a Turkish presumption, not a killing by Turkish agents. "... and was presumed killed in the consulate by Turkey" therefore means "and the Turkish authorities presume that he was killed in the consulate". As sd says, it's not the best sentence.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Khashoggi, a critic of the Saudi government, went missing after entering the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul on October 2, where Turkey presumes he was killed.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Or "... where Turkey presumes he was killed." (I think 'presume" is too weak/neutral a word here; "assumes", believes", or "concludes", maybe?

kentix

English - U.S.
    My choice would have been "believes" if I was the originator of the sentence.

lingobingo

English - England
    Perhaps their choice of “presumed” is related to the official wording “presumed dead”, for example when a soldier goes missing in action.

< Previous | Next >