was the sense of humor Russians [have/had].

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
Could you tell me which is correct:

One thing that made my trip really enjoyable was the great sense of humor Russians [have/had].

I think Russians have a great sense of humor, so the present tense sounds good to me.

But because of the first part of the sentence is about my past experience, I'm not sure if I should make it both past tense and say "....Russians had." but this sounds as if I'm saying, "Russians had great sense of humor then, but not anymore." which is not the case.

Thank you.

• Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    Another possibility would be: the great sense of humor the Russians [that I met] had.

It depends on exactly what you want to say.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    the great sense of humor the Russians [that I met] had.
    That's how I would say it. Those were a specific group of Russians, so it requires THE.

"One thing that made my trip really enjoyable was a great sense of humor Russians have." -- This one would mean that you think Russians generally have a great sense of humor and imply that some Russians were on that trip with you, which made your trip enjoyable.

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
    Thank you all for your answers.

Sorry for the lack of detail.

Actually, I traveled in Russia by myself.
    I encountered some Russians, but I didn't make friends with anyone in a way that I exchanged phone numbers, etc.

I read Russian websites and books (translated in Japanese), so I think Russians have a great sense of humor in general.

The Russians I had conversations with in Russia had a great sense of humor, too.

< Previous | Next >