was to be

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
The following appeared today on (in? at?) CNN.com. It is referring to Zara Philips, granddaughter of Queen Elizabeth:

Phillips, who is 11th in line to the throne, was nominated for the prestigious British Broadcasting Corp. Sports Personality of the Year award, which was to be presented Sunday evening.

(The item appears in full here.))

There is no other mention of the award in the article, and I can't work out when or if the presentation will take place.

- Was it scheduled for last Sunday, but did not take place?
- Was it scheduled for this evening (today is Sunday, December 10), but will not take place?
- Is it scheduled for today and will take place?
- Was/is it scheduled for next Sunday and will/will not take place?

Additional information: The piece is datelined "POSTED: 1217 GMT (2017 HKT), December 10, 2006"

I'm so confused!

Thanks!
:)

• Nunty

Oh, I expressed myself poorly. I'm not at all interested in the award or in the lovely Zara. I'm trying to understand what the "which was to be presented" actually means as a phrase.

But thanks for checking, Alex :)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I disagree with Dr. Murphy. I think that it was phrased this way
    to express that--

1) the recording was made before the scheduled time of the event, and
    2)there was an assumption that the recording would be seen or heard after the event had taken place.

It's a little like NT writing, in a thread opener post, "As you will have noted in the example I give here....", thus assuming that a reader will see it subsequently.

Are we confused yet?

You will have noted that I have pretended not to be.

Nunty

I disagree with Dr. Murphy. I think that it was phrased this way
    to express that--

1) the recording was made before the scheduled time of the event, and
    2)there was an assumption that the recording would be seen or heard after the event had taken place.

It's a little like NT writing, in a thread opener post, "As you will have noted in the example I give here....", thus assuming that a reader will see it subsequently.

Are we confused yet?

You will have noted that I have pretended not to be.

What recording?

Gosh, if I ever open a thread "As you will have noted in the example I give here..." please ban me for life. For my own good.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Then why wouldn't it be "that took place" ?
    "which was to be" really really really really seems that a change has been made, I don't understand why you want to disagree with Dr Murphy! :p

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    The recording/taping/filming of the CNN segment, if it were to be broadcast, or the writing of the web snippet, if it was intended only for reading.....

My error. I saw CNN and assumed a broadcast. The logic is, however, the same for print media, or pixel media.

Imagine the world famous Lincoln Country News, my local weekly paper. It is written, I suppose, on Monday and Tuesday, printed Wednesday AM, and goes on sale Wednesday afternoon. A writer puts together a news report, writing on Monday, about an event to occur on Tuesday, in the expectation that the reader will see the article Wednesday night or later.

"The trailer, carrying 200 bales of hay, overturned at the intersection of North Newcastle Road near Cowshit Corner. A salvage operation was to take place on Tuesday."

FYI, there is such a place!

"And, he said, the North Newcastle road is already posted for trucks "up through Cowshit Corner."" http://wiscassetnewspaper.maine.com/2001-12-06/better_bridges.html

here

Sorry, Sister, we don't have time to ban nice people...the phone peddlers keep us too busy.

Nunty

Somehow, the bales of hay at Cowshit Corner made more sense to me than the lovely Zara and the Sports Personality prize. Thank you, cuchu and Doctor Alex, for your ready and present aid in my distress. :p

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Now that we have the temporal dislocation sorted out, was the
    young person standing in line for the ladies' room?

Phillips, who is 11th in line to the throne

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    "which was to be" really really really really seems implies/suggests that a change has been made,
    No, it doesn't. I agree with Cuchu.

All it's saying is that at the time that she was nominated (before Sunday), the event was scheduled to take place Sunday night (tonight). The sentence says nothing about whether the scheduled date was changed.