was/were meaning to go/visit

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
Is it fine to say:
They weren't at the concert last week. ( = They didn't go to/spend time at the concert last week)
I weren't in the cinema yesterday? (= I didn't go to the cinema yesterday and I didn't see the movie).
Were you to the stadium at the weekend? (Did you go to the stadium at the weekend?)
Was she in the new gallery? (Has she been to the new gallery?)
Were you in the restroom five minutes ago? (Did you go/use the restroom five minutes ago?)

Tom

• dobes

US English(Boston/NY)
    They weren't at the concert is fine.
    I wasn't at the cinema yesterday.
    Were you at the stadium on the weekend? (ON the weekend is AE, AT the weekend is BE, not sure if BE would use 'to the stadium')
    BUT
    You can't say Was she in the new gallery to mean Has she been to the new gallery. In your other 3 sentences, you tied the question to a particular time - last week, yesterday, on the weekend. Here, you are asking without reference to a particular time and so Has she been to the new gallery? is the right question.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    They weren't at the concert is fine.
    I wasn't at the cinema yesterday.
    Were you at the stadium on the weekend? (ON the weekend is AE, AT the weekend is BE, not sure if BE would use 'to the stadium')
    Is "to the stadium" acceptable in AE? Does it sound natural?
    How about these sentences:
    Were you to Madonna's last concert?
    They were to the cinema on Tuesday evening.
    I was to France two years ago.

I'd also like to read opinons of speakers of other variants of English. :)
    BUT
    You can't say Was she in the new gallery to mean Has she been to the new gallery. In your other 3 sentences, you tied the question to a particular time - last week, yesterday, on the weekend. Here, you are asking without reference to a particular time and so Has she been to the new gallery? is the right question.
    I expected someone would object to this sentence. What if from the context it would be clear that we are talking about a past event?

Tom

Musical Chairs

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    They weren't at the concert last week.
    I wasn't at the movies yesterday. In the US, they say "movies" or "movie theather"
    Were you at the stadium ("last" or something else describing which weekend) weekend?
    Was she in the new gallery? (Maybe if you asked somebody if she was there. Not the same thing as "has she been to the gallery?")
    Were you in the restroom five minutes ago?

< Previous | Next >